Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you cuddle with your stepchildren?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 37 Replies
My 13 year old SS never got much affection from his mother. He was raised pretty heavily by his grandmother. She is very affectionate. They often cuddle or lay together on the couch when watching tv. I was watching tv the other night and SS13 came and sat very close to me and inched his way over bit by bit. I was not comfortable with this since I figured where it was heading and got up to go 'busy' myself. I'm not opposed to hugs. I'm not opposed to spending time with the child, but snuggling as a step parent? mmmmm. Not so comfortable with it. Anyone have an opinion on this?
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lnr187
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

i snuggle my ss everyday and sometimes lay with him when putting him to bed. he's 5. however, i raise him. i am his primary caregiver.

Lorena
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I cuddle with my sks. But they are young 9,7, & 4. I am all about cuddle time especially during our one on one time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newstepmom61811
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I cuddle the 5 year old. I am beginning to set boundaries with the 9 soon to be 10 year old, he's getting a bit big for it, I have had gentle but frank discussions about how he is growing up and changing boundaries. I'm being firm but gentle, he has to be taught. I reinforce that I love him but that as he grows all people he encounters will have personal space boundaries and we are teaching him what appropriate social touches, greetings, and displays of affection are as you change and grow. It's all a part of growing up. It's my relationship with him, I'm the adult in my relationship with him. My job to gently teach him appropriate boundaries with me.

HTremblay
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I think you are very unsure about your step son and what he may think or feel of you. I have a 14 yr old SD whom is also an effectionate type young girl. She will curl up on the couch with her father and with myself all the time. I look at as, it is no different then if she were my Biological Daughter. I Love her just the same. If your his Mother figure in his life, I think you should try letting him curl up next you and some times, something this simple will bring your relationship closer as a family.

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I cuddle mine, I am a cuddler in general though. Just this morning I had ds7 next to me and ss4 cuddled up on my lap watching tv.

LovingMy2x4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I cuddle with the girls 12, 11, and 8. The 8 year old will come to cuddle with me, the 11 year old will come sit on my lap or lean against me so I can play with her hair, and the 12 year old hugs me almost every time she passes me. Ive never cuddled with my SS14 though. He hugs me hello & goodbye. Sometimes he'll lay his head on my shoulder for a minute. But nothing more then that. 

abigailsmommy11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I cuddle with my SD all the time, sometimes she prefers to cuddle with me over her Daddy. lol However, she is 3.5 and I've been in her life since she was 6 months old. =]

hershey6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I cuddle a lot with SD3, but not with the others. However, I have been in her life since she was born, so there is also a bond that I don't have with the other kids so much
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

honestly i dont. my ss11 isnt affectionate.. he "leans over" w no arms to hug even dad or mom. ss9 is more affectionate.. he does hug me when he leaves. ss4 is like ss11. he does still hug mom and dad though. i follow his cues and im not going to force myself on him. somtimes he does sit by me and put his legs on mine.

LNLMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

not really-my ss will come and give me a big hug and my sd is too busy being a little destroyer to cuddle. Really the only one who cuddles with me is my ds..and even he doesn't really cuddle for long

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)