Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vacations and every other weekend stepkids

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 57 Replies

If you are the main vacation planner in your home do you plan some special mini vacations when your stepkids are with you?  Or do you save the money and fun getaways when they are not for the family that lives there most of the time.  Does your dh take initiative to plan special weekends when skids are there?  Does it matter?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
....ClvrScn.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM
,y husband gets 2 weeks of vacation time with his daughter per the court order, so we plan vacations around that so she can go to - she's his daughter
Birdseed
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

BM and DH try very hard to accommodate each other with regards to vacations--regardless of the CO/visitation schedule. 

I don't have any bios and BM doesn't have any steps.  So the only vacations we'd take without the kids at either home would be adult only trips.  

ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
If there is no way to get them for vacations then you should plan mini vacations. Its wouldn't have to be something spectacular but taking them to an amusement park or to the beach or somewhere near enough to drive and spend the weekend and you can canoe or camp or whatever y'all like to do. If you have the money and can plan appropriately you can do both every year or at least most years. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SteeleJ
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I plan all trips in our home. I don't plan any when the skids are there. We don't have a car big enough to travel in and I also can't afford to take them along most times. If DH wants to pay their portion for the trip I would prolly take them. But he has yet to say anything about it so therefore I'm not planning anything when they are there.

thatislife
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Just curious, the trips you take when the skids are not there do you pay for these soley or both you and your dh pay for them.

Quoting SteeleJ:

I plan all trips in our home. I don't plan any when the skids are there. We don't have a car big enough to travel in and I also can't afford to take them along most times. If DH wants to pay their portion for the trip I would prolly take them. But he has yet to say anything about it so therefore I'm not planning anything when they are there.

Birdseed
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Quoting SteeleJ:

You can rent mini vans for very little $$ for a weekend trip.  I can't believe that your DH doesn't WANT to take his kids on trips.  

kristinbugg
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Quoting SteeleJ:

Wow.....

So you purposely leave your SCs out of family vacations?  Nice.

You DO realize there are ways to take family and budget friendly family vacations without excluding your husband's children.  I can't believe that your DH is willing to see his children being shortchanged, just because his wife doesn't want to be bothered to include them in vacations.

Do you have children?

TakenItDayByDay
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We plan a big vacation for ALL of the kids. I take my kids on "mini-vacations" without SK's. DH doesn't plan vacations without the rest of us.

SteeleJ
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I pay for them solely. As we don't share any monies.

Quoting thatislife:

Just curious, the trips you take when the skids are not there do you pay for these soley or both you and your dh pay for them.

Quoting SteeleJ:

thatislife
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Okay.  I get that.  Thanks.

Quoting SteeleJ:

I pay for them solely. As we don't share any monies.

Quoting thatislife:

Quoting SteeleJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)