Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The child's choice

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

I see this a lot on forums let the child make the choice on calling the sparent mom or dad. I don't think this should be the child's decison I think it should be corrected. A child has a mother and a father and the step parent is not it I think calling a step parent mom or dad is totally disrespectful. Now if the parent is totally not in the picture thats a different story. 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
shanlee42
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Amen! I think it's different when the kids are older and can understand the ramifications of their actions.

I didn't call my stepparents mom and dad until I was in my 20's.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I agree. If mom and dad are both in the picture they should be addresses as mom and dad. Sparents can be their name or a nick name. If one or both parents are completely OUT of the pix, I guess it's up to the family how to address it but I always think kids should know the truth (aka no telling a kid his step dad whoa been around since birth or babyhood is his bio dad. That's bool sheet, every one deserves to know whee they come from)
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I think everyone's stitch is different. So usually in an involved BP situation then ya,just say sm and SF. But there's so many dynamics. I think if Sp ,BP and skids are okay with it. Then it's no issue.

My dds call my Dh dad. Or a nickname. BD understands this.
ginamom512
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM

If a parent is completely out of the picture that is one thing but if a child has too fully involved parents they should not be calling a step parent mom or dad.

Quoting faerie75:

I agree. If mom and dad are both in the picture they should be addresses as mom and dad. Sparents can be their name or a nick name. If one or both parents are completely OUT of the pix, I guess it's up to the family how to address it but I always think kids should know the truth (aka no telling a kid his step dad whoa been around since birth or babyhood is his bio dad. That's bool sheet, every one deserves to know whee they come from)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)