Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

spinoff do you care if ncp can afford cs?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 16 Replies

To those who said child support is too much and so you voluntarily take a lower amount can you tell me if you have a college fund funded to the degree it is going to cover your child's college expenses?  If not, do you feel it is fair of you to take less then the ordered amount and have your child incur debt if they want to go to college?  Or do you feel it is more important for the ncp parent to not struggle so much right now and for the child to figure out their own means for college?

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CKuse
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
There was already a whole long thread about people's opinions on parents paying for college
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ginamom512
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

In my CO it is ordered that BD helps pay for college I have a college fund for my DD to pay for my half. I don't think it is fair to take a lower amount of support. If an ncp is having issues affording CS then he needs to go back to court to file a modification. 

thatislife
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Yep, and a kazillion on what stuff should a sparent go to.  The other thread was not about voluntarily forgoing child support and then not having enough money for your kids to go to college debt free, that is the focus of this one.  Any thoughts on that topic?

Quoting CKuse:

There was already a whole long thread about people's opinions on parents paying for college

SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Personally, I had to figure out college on my own. First one to go, too. That being said, I had a full ride for community college, and half assed it...because I didn't have anything to lose.

By the time kids start college they are adults and should be responsible, IMO. Parents should encourage kids to work hard in school to receive some sort of scholarship or encourage their kid to work and put away some money on their own...maybe an I'll match what you save thing. I think in most cases, this will help them be more responsible and work harder at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Personally, I wouldn't shed any tears if BM had to trade her luxury car in for something used and/or domestic to pay CS. The only reason she can't afford to pay what would be ordered is spending habits. DH is accepting less because he doesn't want to out her in a tight spot and because it's a source of pride to show here we can make do without her. I call that a load of crap, but it's not my decision to make. We'll deal with college expenses when we get there. The college funds we have set up won't stretch far, but it's something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I lowered BD's CS. He needs to be able to be stable so he can keep DS. Alot can happen between now and college. He and I both would like to have a decent college fund set up for DS. We are working on it. It isn't huge but its a start. I am going to encourage my kids to always depend on themselves when they get older, especially when it comes to money.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM
7 moms liked this

Just because BF and I divorced did not suddenly mean there was lots more money than before.  College funds are great if you can afford them.  We couldn't before, we couldn't after.  Providing for our child as far as food, shelter, clothes, education through HS, ECs and life experiences to the best of your financial abilities are what CS is about.  I do not believe anyone should be forced to save for or fund college.

XXXLmommy
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Why should BF be expected to pay for college for the one child, when he cant even afford it for the rest of his kids?

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

CS is set by the court using a specific formula.  When dh chose to file for divorce he knew he would have to pay.  He made his choices and I shouldnt be expected to make his consequences less.  At this point, I don't have the "extra" to start college accounts, but yest I would/will if the time comes.

thatislife
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I guess I wasn't coming from a place of the bf should soley fund college.  Rather if the bm is not able to put anything aside for college for her child because she is picking up a bigger part of the expenses of the day to day BECAUSE she decided to take less than ordered in cs is that a good choice. Or should she have take the ordered amount and used that to help with day to day expenses IF it could have freed up some of her money to build a little up in a fund.

Quoting XXXLmommy:

Why should BF be expected to pay for college for the one child, when he cant even afford it for the rest of his kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)