Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I don't want to go to PTC/meeting tomorrow!

Posted by   + Show Post

After almost a year of slacking, BM finally got around to actually getting SD an IEP plan.(BM started this process in MAY of last year and bs-ed with finishing it by not signing the forms to have the testing done.) Mostly b/c DH said if she didn't he'd do it himself, even if that meant court. Any-who, the meeting is tomorrow at 8, which presents many issues. DD has to be at school at 8:10 for starters, we would have to take DD4 and DS2 with us, AND I have freaking strep throat for the first time ever! I honestly feel no need for me to go, but DH and BM both want me to, and SF is going. The last one I went to was kind of a mess, with BM making rude comments to and about both DH and I. The teacher and the school psychologist were speechless, and you should've seen their faces! DH says I need to suck it up and go, but WHY? Why do I need to be there??

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Replies (21-24):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
That is what I have been told by the office people. I have always wanted to spill my guts and 'defend' myself after hearing my ex and/or his wife sent an email about me. But then I've been told, the quiet one usually is the better liked and the loud one is usually the one that they are saying 'wtf!?' To. Lol

Quoting Seychelles1409:

You don't!  As a former teacher who has been to countless IEP meetings, the only people we need there are the custodial parent (s).  By the way, the BM can't get SD on an IEP.  IEP's are only allowed if the student meets certain criteria and never because a parent requests or pressures the school for one.  I am so sorry for your embarrassment at your last IEP meeting.  I assure you, we have seen and heard it all and the BM did not make you or your husband sound bad.  She made herself out to be petty, jealous, crazy, nuts....pick your adjective.  Most likely when you guys all left, the teachers, etc. said BM was "a piece of work"!    I can't tell you how many times we've come across jealous ex's and their agendas are so apparent.  Again, stay home.  DH may want you there for HIS moral support.  He's a big boy.  Let him handle this by himself!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seychelles1409
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM

You got it!  I used to dread meetings with those loud parents---usually the mothers!   Those were the meetings that lasted forever!   

Quoting momof2ex1:

That is what I have been told by the office people. I have always wanted to spill my guts and 'defend' myself after hearing my ex and/or his wife sent an email about me. But then I've been told, the quiet one usually is the better liked and the loud one is usually the one that they are saying 'wtf!?' To. Lol

Quoting Seychelles1409:

You don't!  As a former teacher who has been to countless IEP meetings, the only people we need there are the custodial parent (s).  By the way, the BM can't get SD on an IEP.  IEP's are only allowed if the student meets certain criteria and never because a parent requests or pressures the school for one.  I am so sorry for your embarrassment at your last IEP meeting.  I assure you, we have seen and heard it all and the BM did not make you or your husband sound bad.  She made herself out to be petty, jealous, crazy, nuts....pick your adjective.  Most likely when you guys all left, the teachers, etc. said BM was "a piece of work"!    I can't tell you how many times we've come across jealous ex's and their agendas are so apparent.  Again, stay home.  DH may want you there for HIS moral support.  He's a big boy.  Let him handle this by himself!

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

To get the IEP evaluations done the CP just needs to sign an authorization form to begin the assessments/testing of the child to determine if they qualify for an IEP or a 504 plan. To get an IEP the child would have to qualify for Special Education and/or physical, occupational, or speech therapy at school. If they don't qualify for any of that, but are still having issues at school and require modifications they can be placed on a 504 plan which outlines those qualifications.

Once the IEP or 504 plan is written up th CP signs the IEP and it's official.

I agree with the other posters about the loud parent being the one the teachers look at like they're crazy. When BM showed up to SD's IEP meeting she kept going on and on about how SD just "plays DUMB" to manipulate people and that she's really very smart, but she doesn't like to do the work and keeps "playing dumb" to get out of it.

The entire IEP/504 plan team didn't know how to respond at all, and SD's poor teacher looked HORRIFIED. And yes, I was at the IEP meeting. DH is CP and works 55+ hours a week and BM only takes 1 visit a month and has only showed up to the first IEP meeting where DH signed the authorization form and the meeting where the official IEP was signed. She conveniently missed the one where they explained all of SD's assessment scores and what they meant. 

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Really? I mean only mothers are loud? Wow

Quoting Seychelles1409:

You got it!  I used to dread meetings with those loud parents---usually the mothers!   Those were the meetings that lasted forever!   

Quoting momof2ex1:

Quoting Seychelles1409:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)