Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Family tree for school project

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 36 Replies

Do you include step and half siblings in your child's family tree for school?

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daddysgf
by and that's all on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
We haven't got there yet but I can't see why not unless there is zero relationship at all. Or if there was some obscene number.
Step siblings would just go under SP and 1/2 under P&SP
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I did include my half siblings when I did one in school.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Were the half-siblings from your Mom or Dad or both?

Quoting ramita:

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

My DDs would.

They do not include alienated SD anymore though.

SS14 does, SS16 is to literal so if they asked about siblings, he might just say his brother and sister.  It really depends on how the question is asked.

Not that they have done a family tree in school lately so tehse are just assumptions based upon their words and actions.

ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM
My mom...I didn't have any steps though but I don't see why thing couldn't be included...

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Were the half-siblings from your Mom or Dad or both?

Quoting ramita:

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

No, we've never had them include steps in their family tree.  There are no half-sibs, but those would be included as they are a blood connection and family trees are an exhibition of blood heritage.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

What do you think your children will do?  I forget how old they are but my sense is they are pretty young.

Any guess as to how your SS might answer?

Every now and then someone makes the connection of DD and SD.  Honestly, it gets uncomfortable for DD16 because she really doesn't consider SD her sister anymore but doesn't know how to say that without sounding mean.  So she just lets people keep assuming they have a relationship.

I would be curious for older kids if they list their stepsiblings as such on facebook!  SD and DDs used to be stepsisters until SD decided to delete everybody and stop coming to our home.  About a year after that out of the blue both of my girls got invitations to be her stepsister again.  DD18 ignored it but DD16 felt like she had to say yes otherwise she would be rude.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Really?  why blood heritage?  What does that mean to a child who is adopted?

Quoting Derdriu:

No, we've never had them include steps in their family tree.  There are no half-sibs, but those would be included as they are a blood connection and family trees are an exhibition of blood heritage.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM
They have included all step and half siblings they are aware of. Exh has a 16 to that he has no contact with and I have so far left it up to him to decide how and when he tells the boys about him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

DS4 was sent home with that to do for homework which is really work for the parents at that age. I did the assignment without the half-sib, when asked about siblings, both children, DS4 and DD5, refer to each other although they know that SS is their half-sibling.

I am not sure if SS would include my children on his family tree, if it is something BM would see he wouldn't include them I think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)