Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

It's all about the shoes

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM
  • 44 Replies
My SK's tend to wear out a pair of shoes in a matter of months. Both SS's wanted some expensive shoes for Christmas. I found good deals so I bought them. The youngest one has already managed to destroy his, they are falling apart, literally. The oldest one has lost the wheels that came with his and they look awful. So, I'm just curious how fast other kids go through shoes. Is this a normal time frame?
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Oh my kids shoes last quite a while. Dd is 11 and her shoes are her fortune. But that's a girl thing I guess.
My son goes through a pair of nikes in about 9-10 months if his feet don't grow. Currently the kid has not grown a foot size in the last year. He is 5. Could it be the way they walk? I know this sounds kind of silly but my nephew drags his feet and he goes through shoes very quickly because of it. He also tends to play rough on everything. He runs, he skateboards, he is kind of all boy. My son is not as active outside that way so I think that is why his shoes last longer. I've also found that some of those more expensive brands don't tend to last as long as you would think. I only buy Nike athletic shoes for my kids and not the expensive ones. I spend about $40 each and they hold up. I bought my daughter a pair of Toms and those did not last. The insides started coming out and the sequens fell off quickly. They were expensive for casual shoes and they were a pair of junk. Those Heely shoes, I've never known anyone to be happy with those. I've never purchased them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I bought dd two new.pairs of shoes for Christmas. Not cheap either, they were nice shoes. She left them out and the teething puppy chewed holes in them, like two weeks later.

So I took her to walmart and let her pick out two cheapie pairs to get her through the rest of the school year. And that if she wants pricey shoes next school year she will have to save her allowance and chore money to pay for half. Harsh for an almost 6 yr.old? Maybe. But she knew not to leave her shoes out, esp with the dog teething.

Ss takes pretty good care of all.his things, because he was so.used to having nothing at Bms. Broken toys, holey, smelly, I'll fitting clothes and shoes...pretty awful. He's excellent about his shoes, even wipes them with a rag if they get muddy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Lol my brother was like this with all of his stuff. Wiped it all down, had to look perfect. All of his shirts had to be pressed and clean. Haha he is a Marine. Has been for nearly 20 years. I guess he just fit the mold.

Quoting luckystars2012:

I bought dd two new.pairs of shoes for Christmas. Not cheap either, they were nice shoes. She left them out and the teething puppy chewed holes in them, like two weeks later.

So I took her to walmart and let her pick out two cheapie pairs to get her through the rest of the school year. And that if she wants pricey shoes next school year she will have to save her allowance and chore money to pay for half. Harsh for an almost 6 yr.old? Maybe. But she knew not to leave her shoes out, esp with the dog teething.

Ss takes pretty good care of all.his things, because he was so.used to having nothing at Bms. Broken toys, holey, smelly, I'll fitting clothes and shoes...pretty awful. He's excellent about his shoes, even wipes them with a rag if they get muddy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

For my son, yes, it's normal. 

For my daughter, no, it isn't.

TakenItDayByDay
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM
YSS had been complaining about his shoes for a few weeks now so when we went to Walmart this weekend and the first thing in the door was a clearance rack of SHOES I was really excited. I let both SS's pick out a pair of shoes, lol. $14 for a pair of shoes isn't bad ;) I won't feel nearly as upset about those getting destroyed as I did about the toe shoes I got YSS or the Heely's I bought for OSS.
Quoting luckystars2012:

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM
See that's what I like to do. I buy play shoes and school shoes, dress shoes, water shoes, sandals and flip flops. That way they don't all get worn out at the same time.

Quoting TakenItDayByDay:

YSS had been complaining about his shoes for a few weeks now so when we went to Walmart this weekend and the first thing in the door was a clearance rack of SHOES I was really excited. I let both SS's pick out a pair of shoes, lol. $14 for a pair of shoes isn't bad ;) I won't feel nearly as upset about those getting destroyed as I did about the toe shoes I got YSS or the Heely's I bought for OSS.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM

DS can destroy shoes in 3 months if I don't get decent ones.

I have to buy DS DCs they are the ONLY shoes he can wear for longer than 3 months and not tear apart. He's really rough on his shoes (skate boarding, riding bikes, climbing trees, etc). DCs usually last him until his feet grow and he needs new ones.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Moderately priced nikes seem to hold up the best with the boys. Sketchers seems to be the most lasting with dd, but yeah they all wear through shoes in about 6 mths. The 40-50 $ nikes last a little longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Depends on the kid. SS is busy and all boy, but somehow his shoes hold up. He will literally wear the soles out of them before the uppers fall apart, though you can definitely tell they see hard use. SD will wear brand new, NICE shoes out into the pasture or barn. She'll walk out to the horses through the dust and dirt, mud if it rained, and not think twice. Then she gets all pissy when DH and I yell at her. Nothing she has ever looks nice for more than a day after she gets it, if that long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I just got ds10 a pair of Dcs at jcp and I am impressed with their quality especially bc they were on sale for $14 and I had a $10 off coupon lol.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

DS can destroy shoes in 3 months if I don't get decent ones.

I have to buy DS DCs they are the ONLY shoes he can wear for longer than 3 months and not tear apart. He's really rough on his shoes (skate boarding, riding bikes, climbing trees, etc). DCs usually last him until his feet grow and he needs new ones.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN