Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Hiring a driver for the kids...would you consider a male?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 28 Replies

I posted last week about the fact that I am having difficulty figuring out how I'm going to get the girls to and from their summer activities due to the fact that DH's schedule is totally unflexible/he's out of country and I am now working PT on a variable schedule which was not the case when we signed them up.

It was recommended that I try to hire a driver. 

So I posted on CL yesterday.  My basic requirements were that the person have a reliable/safe vehicle, valid DL and insurance, clean driving record, pass a background check and be 21 or older.  Duties would include picking the kids up at our home and driving them to activies/picking them up as needed on a biweekly schedule.  Additional opportunity to make $$ would be to hang at our house inbetween, walk dogs, light housework, possible small errands nearby if the person lives a distance away.

I got a couple of replies already. One from a man.  The girls are 13 and 15, pretty well behaved, tall/big kids for their ages (inches taller and several pounds heavier) than me.  I'm 5 8 and 130.  They are not good candidates for kidnapping is my point.  They could probably take most guys out.  

I feel lke it would be discrimantory not to at least phone interview the man in addition to the ladies who replied.  Generally, our plan is to do a phone interview first and narrow down the candidates, then invite the candidates (individually) over for dinner, play a game, hang out etc with the kids.  I want to make sure that whomever we choose is someone the kids feel comfortable with.

My question for discussion is:  Would you consider having a male nanny/driver with 2 teen girls?  Is that taking unnecessary risk?  Would your girls (if you have them) feel comfortable with that do you think?

This guy has (according to him) top security clearance with the US gov't and does IT type contract work but is between jobs due to the budget cuts.  So if that pans out (and it's easy for us to check) then chances are pretty good that he's a relatively "safe" person.

I'm trying to identify 2-3 candidates to be on our backup transportation list for this summer and onward as long as we're in the area.  Just wondering what other peoples' thoughts are on this subject.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I would at least check him out. With that kind of clearance he may be expecting a larger salary (more bodyguard style). Than you are actually paying though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting MommySabs:

I would at least check him out. With that kind of clearance he may be expecting a larger salary (more bodyguard style). Than you are actually paying though.

Security Clearance is about your authorization to see classified information not to protect anyone physically.  So for example, my husband has top security clearance and he's an engineer.  Anyone working on gov't contracts to a certain level has to have varying degrees of security clearance but it's all about classified info, not physical safety.  So that shouldn't be an issue at all.  He knows (from my ad) what the pay rate is.  Although I did say negotiable based on other factors such as if they want to take on additional duties.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I would think that doing an interview wouldn't hurt anything.  If you don't get the right vibe, there ya go.  Just make sure that you have your girls meet him before hiring him to make sure that they are comfortable around him alone...

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Quoting AmericanDream:

I would think that doing an interview wouldn't hurt anything.  If you don't get the right vibe, there ya go.  Just make sure that you have your girls meet him before hiring him to make sure that they are comfortable around him alone...

Agreed.  Like I said, I figured that if we talk to him and he seems reasonable then the next step is to let the kids meet him.  I thought that inviting people over for a dinner, maybe a game after dinner or something would be a good low stress way of introducing everyone and letting us all interact without too much pressure.

I'm open to other ideas though. I've never been in a position to hire a child care provider type person! And neither has DH because up til now, the only people who have taken care of the kids besides their parents or me have all been family members.

kimkrys1
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I would check him out.  If he does pan out and he has all those credential you wouldnt have to worry about someone harming them while in his care.  But I would definitely be careful with him or anyone else.

Firenygirl180
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I'd do an interview. The girls will always be together? Or do they have separate activities where he'd be only driving I've at a time sometimes?

They are old enough to tell you if something is going on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CodeBlue
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
With all the crazy I see on here (mostly in MC), and how often I think "bitches be crazy!" I'm inclined to think that men may be the safer option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Lol I know what a security clearance is thanks.

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting MommySabs:

Security Clearance is about your authorization to see classified information not to protect anyone physically.  So for example, my husband has top security clearance and he's an engineer.  Anyone working on gov't contracts to a certain level has to have varying degrees of security clearance but it's all about classified info, not physical safety.  So that shouldn't be an issue at all.  He knows (from my ad) what the pay rate is.  Although I did say negotiable based on other factors such as if they want to take on additional duties.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I'd do an interview. The girls will always be together? Or do they have separate activities where he'd be only driving I've at a time sometimes?

They are old enough to tell you if something is going on.

No, they wouldn't always be together.  The oldest is more into sports and the youngest more into theatre and music.  Right now we've got the oldest signed up for golf and tennis and the youngest signed up for a theatre camp and a music thing.  But there are some other activities they might be doing together that are more one time day clinic type things.  We don't have the whole summer schedule fleshed out yet.  A lot of the planning has gone on hold since I got my new job and don't have a set schedule. If I can't find a driver then we will have to go back to the drawing board on a lot of this even though we've already paid for the stuff.

The oldest also wants to get a job (but can't drive) and the youngest wants to volunteer.  I haven't been able to find any volunteer or job options within walking/biking range yet.  But I am still looking...

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I apologize.  Your comment about body guard style stuff made me think that you didn't.

Quoting MommySabs:

Lol I know what a security clearance is thanks.

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting MommySabs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)