Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Yes..he HAS to be in a carseat

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 22 Replies
My friend just text ranting on about her new boyfriends childs mother. I know the woman and find her pretty friendly and very knowledgeable. Well my friend went on ranting saying how her boyfriends bm wont let her son into my friends car without the proper carseat.
This kid is four years old, weighs maybe 35 pounds.
The Bio mom offered to pay for the proper booster seat. Here is where my friend hates..she thinks the booster seat will take up more room in the back so its less room for her children, her kids are ten and twelve.
I explained i wouldnt let ny kid in anyones car that didnt have the proper car seat for him. Then she gets all pissy saying i am just siding eiyh bio-mom cause i known her longer. Which isnt true i am just thinking of the childs safety!!
So i called bio mom, and since they have a custody hearing friday afternoon..this is one serious issue that needs to be taken care of. I wouldnt normally tell bio mom what me and the new girl yalk about, but this one thing i couldnt hide..i would feel super guilty if some thing happen and didnt step up and say some thing.
Sorry for typos i am moble
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. Safety of the child needs to come first. She can toss the carseat in the trunk when not in use if its a space issue.

Mommynwife26
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Wow I would have done the same thing. She needs ti keep that child safe or not drive him around.
LittleMama2012
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I agree with you. Kids need to be properly restrained. Bm was upset with me when SD turned 8. Nc law says they have to be in a booster seat up to age 8 or 80 lbs. SD was still pretty tiny when she turned 8 and just wearing a regular seatbelt didn't work for her. The shoulder belt didn't fit right so I left her in a backless booster. I had asked a state trooper that came in my work and he said that what matters is how the seat belt fits them. I didn't argue with bm. I just explained that it was my vehicle and I didn't feel comfortable without her in a booster. She eventually got over it.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Technically at 4 and 35lbs he should still be in a 5 point harness safety wise.

I'm a bit of a car seat fanatic :) DD4 (5 next month) is still in a 5 point harness and she's pretty big for her age. There are some great car seats on the market that will allow for a 5 point harness up to 60-80lbs. DD6, who is HUGE for her age just outgrew her car seat height wise (she's all torso like DH).

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd push for a five point harness too. I think 35 pounds is too light for a booster.
painNtheazz
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this

This.

While personally I would not have disclosed to the BM what the friend and I talked about personally, I would have brought the situation to her attention.

Fucked up. Does she realize in most states her ass could get in major trouble for not having the proper seating for him? Fucking stupid.

Quoting Polkadotted:

I'd push for a five point harness too. I think 35 pounds is too light for a booster.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM
That would be illegal in my state. Hope the hearing goes well.
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I agree w/u where I live the child has to be in a booster seat untill they're 8 yrs old. My son is 3 and 40lbs I wouldn't let him ride w/anyone w/I his car seat
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM
W/o his car seat I meant
DSM123
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM
You did the right thing! Your friend needs to take a second and chill and think about what she is saying.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN