Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Married with separate money

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM
  • 42 Replies

Does anyone here, who is MARRIED (as in it is legally on paper, not just "we've been together for ten years"), keep their money separate from their husband's, if you work, receive SS/disability, CS, etc?

I know that many couples who are not married do this, but I would like to know if married couples do it, when they have kids from other relationships.  

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cruelella2to
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:32 AM

My money is completly seperate from dh's. we use to do that joint stuff but i was always angry he blows money i save money. so i would save and he would have a bigger amount to blow usually getting stuff for sk's that i didn't htink they earned/deserved. You can't be failing 8th grade getting arrested and still deserve a quad ya know?

daddysgf
by and that's all on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not married BUT I have told SO that when that happens, there is no way in hell his money will be combined with mine. Ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Not married, but we will always keep our money separate, always.
november117
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Our money is totally seperate.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I have some funds that are separate but most of DH's funds are joint with me, he considers everything joint but I know what is mine alone.

LuvMyZBoy
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I am married and all of our money is combined. Is it always easy? No - but it does create transparency, accountability, and forces us to communicate, work on a budget, and create goals together regarding where we want to be and how we will get there. There is great info and tools out there that can help in the process, so it doesn't turn into "you vs. him." The pros for our marriage outweigh the cons for sure.

shanlee42
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We aren't married yet but our money will remain separate even after we are.

leanntx
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
We have joint accounts, checking and savings. I have an individual account that my cs goes into.
lnr187
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

our money is joint and has been since we moved in together. that was 4 years before we were married.

Bertieb
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I get CS in a separate account which is where it went before we married. I use that money for my daughter's clothes, gifts,  and needs, plus I buy gas and groceries and some other things from it occasionally because that stuff goes toward her care too. The rest of our money goes in a joint account and joint savings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)