Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

7th grade a 3rd time?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 43 Replies

Oh my GOD I am irritated!

So, SS13 is currently repeating 7th grade. To boot, we just found out he's flunking everything. EVERYTHING. Again. All because he's not handing in or doing homework.

We ask him every day...where's your homework. He says, "Didn't have any." Well that's horseshit.

So I went online and see that he's got 17 missing assignments and as a result has all F's.

He was failing the first semester and we got involved and he turned everything around at the last minute. Now here we are, in the same boat and the SAME thing happening again.

To put this in perspective for you all, if he fails, he will be 16 years old when he starts 8th grade. At some point, he's going to feel ridiculous and drop out in my opinion. And I have NO intention of supporting some bum sitting in my house with his thumb up his ass.

I'm TIRED of this. And....yes. He's been evaluated. He has ADD, but if he can suddenly pull up his grades last minute, in my opinion, he damn well can do that all year. NO EXCUSES.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this
If this is an ongoing problem why hasn't someone checked what assignments he has everyday and monitored him doing them? If the assignments aren't online, ask the teachers to send DH a list of assignments for the week and then make sure they are being done. Call the teachers, email them, and check in routinely. Don't trust the child to say whether or not he has homework if he's proven to be irresponsible or a liar... Check with the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemom416
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Have you thought about moving him to a smaller school? My dd had the same problem,she didnt fail but we had to ride her ass daily. It got old quick. Thankfully here they have an alternative school that works with her regular high school. It only has 20 kids in it,5 teachers. My dd gets more one on one time with the teachers,if she doesnt do her work in class she gets in school suspension until she does it,they do dont give homework(she is made to do all her work in front of teacher or iss). Stop a lot of the fights at home and since she now has some one at school looking over her shoulder she is getting better at getting her work done with no problems. Some times kids need more structure than the regular class room setting.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe what needs to be done is to monitor his grades and assignments all year. Be in constant contact with all teachers that are involved. Has anyone aked him why he does this? Have the consequences been explained to him? Is he on medication for the ADD? Have the parents sat down and discussed his future with him as in what he wants to be/do and how to ger to that point?
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I'm not sure about your school board policy where you live but a child cannot repeat the same grade more than once here. Although I'm sure he hasn't learned a damn thing if he is failing again. He could still be "placed" in the 8th grade and given all remedial classes plus tudoring.
flora367
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I've stood patiently on the side waiting for his parents to do something. But they simply aren't doing what they need to do.

Enough's enough. I emailed all his teachers today. Introduced myself as the stepmother and said I need to know what's going on.

How I'm going to deal with the SS? I'm not sure since I'm not the parent. But frankly, I'm done being polite and waiting for his bio parents to do what they're supposed to do.

flora367
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM

He failed 7th grade at his old school.

This will be his first time failing 7th grade at his new school.

Technically, I think then he'll be in 7th grade AGAIN.

shanlee42
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe seek the help of the school counselor in regards to BPs lack if interest?
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting flora367:

I've stood patiently on the side waiting for his parents to do something. But they simply aren't doing what they need to do.

Enough's enough. I emailed all his teachers today. Introduced myself as the stepmother and said I need to know what's going on.

How I'm going to deal with the SS? I'm not sure since I'm not the parent. But frankly, I'm done being polite and waiting for his bio parents to do what they're supposed to do.

This isn't your child and they can handle it how they want to, even if it isn't up to your standards.  Did the teachers respond?  You are a SP, not a parent, I doubt they will.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Can't you kick your dh in the butt and get him moving on this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
4 moms liked this

If she didnt do some thing to help the child she would be called a bad sm. Cant win for loosing.

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting flora367:

This isn't your child and they can handle it how they want to, even if it isn't up to your standards.  Did the teachers respond?  You are a SP, not a parent, I doubt they will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)