Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Bedrooms and every other weekend step kids

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 32 Replies

Okay here's the situation

Boy 5 - Lives here 100% of the time

Girl 5 - Visits every other weekend

Baby - Due in October

We have two bedrooms upstairs and two bedrooms down stairs.

We will take a down stairs bedroom and the baby will have a down stairs bedroom. Those are set in stone

However, there are two bedrooms upstairs 

One however, is not technically a bedroom, it's a sitting area. When you go up the steps, you are standing in the room. There is no door to it. No closet 2 windows. Then there's a door along the far wall - when you go through that door you are in a bedroom. There's a closet and two windows. Both "rooms" are relatively the same size.

1. DH wants to make the back room, Boy 5's room and the front room a play room for boy 5 and girl 5. He wants Girl 5 to sleep on the couch when she visits, since it's only 4 days a month and she sleeps in her bed MAYBE 2 days a month now. We tend to do living room movie nights when she visits.

2. His other option is to put girl 5's bed in the babies room, that way the older 2 will still have a play room.

3. My idea is to make the sitting area a play room, but put girl 5's bed in the play room, so she has her own space when she's over.

DH does not want to dedicate a room solely to girl 5, when she's only over every other weekend. He feels that option one is the best choice. Girl 5 is his daughter.

What do you ladies think - I just feel bad that she won't have her own room, like the other two that will live there full time.

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Can you put a trundle in any of the options so she has a bed and maybe her own space? I think any of the options are viable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I think either her sharing a room with the baby or turning the playroom into partly her room are the best options. She may not need much now as far as space, but in a couple years she will even if she is there only every other weekend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
....ClvrScn.
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM
4 moms liked this

I was thinking possibly one of those big over sized chairs that folds out into a twin bed, or a day bed or futon. That way it can double function

Quoting MommySabs:

Can you put a trundle in any of the options so she has a bed and maybe her own space? I think any of the options are viable.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Why don't you put a day bed in the play room??

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Put a futon in the playroom
....ClvrScn.
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We are renting for now, but will be buying a home in about 3 years, at which time, we are hoping for 5 bedrooms - one for each kid and an office/guest room. Her mother has a disability that will criple her - it's just a question of WHEN, not if. She and DH had it put in the court order that when that happens, if she is unable to care for SD, then SD will come live with him. So buying a home without a bedroom for her is out of the question

Quoting ramita:

I think either her sharing a room with the baby or turning the playroom into partly her room are the best options. She may not need much now as far as space, but in a couple years she will even if she is there only every other weekend.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I was going to say the same thing as the other poster.... A day bed in the play room/half bedroom.... With frilly pink pillows and comforter (or whatever she likes). That way she has her own bed and space when she's there. Living room camping is fun for her now but she's going to grow up quick!!
ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Well in that case I think her bed should go into the play room in case something happens to BM before y'all buy a house. Of course that's just my opinion...

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

We are renting for now, but will be buying a home in about 3 years, at which time, we are hoping for 5 bedrooms - one for each kid and an office/guest room. Her mother has a disability that will criple her - it's just a question of WHEN, not if. She and DH had it put in the court order that when that happens, if she is unable to care for SD, then SD will come live with him. So buying a home without a bedroom for her is out of the question

Quoting ramita:

feliciasmith
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I dont want to shake your world too much but how much is your infant going to sleep in its room the first year of his/her life?

I'd set up the new baby's room and your sd bed in the same room. So she doesnt feel out of place at your house.
....ClvrScn.
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I might be weird, but my son never slept in my room. I didn't think it was a good habit to get into. Then again, he slept through the night since he was 3 days old. I never had a problem with him sleeping - I don't know what this baby will be lik to say whether they'll be in my room or their own room.

I suggested that we just put the baby in our room when she's over - DH said "Well there's another option"

Quoting feliciasmith:

I dont want to shake your world too much but how much is your infant going to sleep in its room the first year of his/her life?

I'd set up the new baby's room and your sd bed in the same room. So she doesnt feel out of place at your house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)