Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I overreacting? Or would this bother you too?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH has been out of town since Monday. He got home last night and he, SD and I all spent a little bit of time together. After awhile SD went to take a bath, and DH and I got into bed. I texted SD that we were going to bed, we loved her and would see her in the morning. She texted back saying goodnight and she loved us too. About 10 minutes later she knocks on the door and asks if she can come in. DH said yes. She comes in and climbs in bed with us. She and DH are watching TV while I'm trying to sleep. DH asks if the TV is too loud. I said yes, but it was ok. I said I wouldn't be able to sleep even if he turned it down, so he ended up turning it off. SD still stayed in the room though. Then the dog started snoring. DH put the dog out and SD said she would just go in her room. I was so happy because I wanted to be selfish and just have it be DH and I. When DH came back in the room though, SD was following him. About 45 minutes later, she ended up leaving the room because she said it was too hot. I was really upset before she left though. I view the our room, as our private space. I understand SD missed her dad, but we are going to be spending the next three nights all together in a hotel room. So, was I wrong to be upset at the time? Or would it have bothered you too?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be pissed because I would kick both DH and SD out of the room.

ramita
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this
I can see what you mean that room is kinda lime your personal space. DH should have just hung out with SD in living room or her room for a little one on one, but honestly I'd just let it go because its not.worth it. I would however causually mention to DH next time she acts like that if he wouldn't mind hanging out with her in another room so you can sleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

LOL. He knows I can't sleep with the TV on and I am the one who had to work today. I figured after he turned it off, SD would go in her own room.  

Quoting leegirl_jm:

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

That's a good idea. I will let it go at home. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.  

Quoting ramita:

I can see what you mean that room is kinda lime your personal space. DH should have just hung out with SD in living room or her room for a little one on one, but honestly I'd just let it go because its not.worth it. I would however causually mention to DH next time she acts like that if he wouldn't mind hanging out with her in another room so you can sleep.

packermomof2
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Dad doesn't view his room the same way you view your room.  I look at a bedroom like another room in the house. Not something sacred to be kept away from children at all times.  If we're in there with the door closed they knock and we may or may not allow them in.  If we don't close the door they are allowed in.  It just isn't a big deal to everyone.  

Dad wanted to spend some time with his kid.  Next time he should leave you alone and go out and hang with his kid so you don't upset by that.  But you can't complain about that if he does it.  You can't have it both ways. 

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

He was being thoughtless, my children can come into our room at times however if my husband is tired and needs to get his rest, I take them to their room and stay with them.

Quoting RobsPrincess24:

LOL. He knows I can't sleep with the TV on and I am the one who had to work today. I figured after he turned it off, SD would go in her own room.  

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

it would have kinda gotten on my nerves, to be honest. if SO had been out of town that long, im wanting the weener. selfish, maybe but yes that is my room and we dont have any of the skids sleeping in here so for one to decide to just come on in would be odd. SO would take them back to bed and lay w them for a few minute then come to the room at our house.

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No, we don't view "our" room the same way. He doesn't care if she is in there and occasionally I don't either. When I'm trying to sleep though, or selfishly spend time with DH then I do care. I don't care though that he wanted to spend time with his kid. If he had gone out into the other room, that would have been fine. Go out and spend time with her, then come back to the room afterwards.  

Quoting packermomof2:

Dad doesn't view his room the same way you view your room.  I look at a bedroom like another room in the house. Not something sacred to be kept away from children at all times.  If we're in there with the door closed they knock and we may or may not allow them in.  If we don't close the door they are allowed in.  It just isn't a big deal to everyone.  

Dad wanted to spend some time with his kid.  Next time he should leave you alone and go out and hang with his kid so you don't upset by that.  But you can't complain about that if he does it.  You can't have it both ways. 

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think that is the polite thing to do. If the situation was reversed, I would have done that.  

Quoting leegirl_jm:

He was being thoughtless, my children can come into our room at times however if my husband is tired and needs to get his rest, I take them to their room and stay with them.

Quoting RobsPrincess24:

Quoting leegirl_jm:

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Bahaha!! DH and I sleep naked. He put shorts on when she came in, but I was still naked under the covers. Awkward. LOL.   

Quoting faerie75:

it would have kinda gotten on my nerves, to be honest. if SO had been out of town that long, im wanting the weener. selfish, maybe but yes that is my room and we dont have any of the skids sleeping in here so for one to decide to just come on in would be odd. SO would take them back to bed and lay w them for a few minute then come to the room at our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured