Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Try This Experiment! call your family members not by their names for an evening or a day or a week!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 44 Replies
I posted a question if I was being too sensitive feeling hurt that my DH & SS have been referring to me as "her" or " she" while sitting right next to them...I was amazed that it struck a cord that in one or two days I received over 100 replies. Most were not supportive or could not understand! Here's my experiment:

Agree with your family to try not calling each other by their name....(whether that be mom, name, nick name, not babe or honey, ...that must always refer to each other as " her", "him", or "you") for an evening, or a day or better yet, could you do it for a week?

Then let me know how it went and how it made you feel as well as how it made your other family members feel?
Can anyone be "WOMAN" enough to try it?
Good Luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
No thanks. Everyone has a specific name. Mom is mom. My stepdad is grandpa at this point. My kids have nicknames and even my honey has a nickname. I don't agree with calling she or he in front of the person because I think it is rude. I also think it is rude that my name is MOM and my daughter is not allowed to call me MOM when she refers to me. It does strike a chord with me. I get very defensive over my title. And it's not just a title to me. It is one I have earned over the last 12 years. Which started at conception. Just like the 'first mothers day' card I received while pregnant. I earned that. I like names. I like to call people by their names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol
I don't.
It's rude to refer to someone "her/him she/he", when he/she is sitting right there, and you know his/her name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't have to try it, I know I am very strict about how people are addressed and referred, I know the 'her' or 'she' reference is unacceptable.

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe it is one thing to refer to someone that way when you aren't speaking directly to them, not to their face.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
If they are not talking to you directly YOU are her and she . If they are asking " Did you move the spoon ?" I'm not seeing the issue . I think you need help
packermomof2
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM

My husband never says my name when talking to me.  He just starts talking.  Has done this for years.  I've learned to accept it.   

My kids do the same on occasion.  I'm pretty sure I'm who they're talking to when they're asking for something so I don't let it get to me.

They do the same to each othe a lot of the time.  They just start talking to each other.  

I don't have a problem with it.  I don't find it rude.  We know each other's names, we use them from time to time.

My kids also refer to me by my first name in public when there a lot of other kids around because I got tired of answering all the kids calling "mom"... 

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm, I wonder if that would be easier than trying to use their names all the time and calling them by the wrong one. Or going through the list and ending with "who ever you are" 

Honestly I hardly ever use DH's name because it's too close to my exH and I'm afraid that I will call him that.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I was actually telling DH yesterday he never says my  name unless we are having a disagreement. o.O  I brought it up because he said my name when he said I love you. It actually caught me offguard.

I am like you, it doesn't offend me and I know he is talking to me.

Quoting packermomof2:

My husband never says my name when talking to me.  He just starts talking.  Has done this for years.  I've learned to accept it.   

My kids do the same on occasion.  I'm pretty sure I'm who they're talking to when they're asking for something so I don't let it get to me.

They do the same to each othe a lot of the time.  They just start talking to each other.  

I don't have a problem with it.  I don't find it rude.  We know each other's names, we use them from time to time.

My kids also refer to me by my first name in public when there a lot of other kids around because I got tired of answering all the kids calling "mom"... 

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? ~The Crow

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM

You are seriously taking this too far, its not rude to call someone she or her in the context you were decribing, move on. My family honestly would not care in the slightest, but not going to do it since there are seven people in this house and saying "she" or "him" would get extremely confusing. Which him?

packermomof2
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quoting Tillymommie:

I was actually telling DH yesterday he never says my  name unless we are having a disagreement. o.O  I brought it up because he said my name when he said I love you. It actually caught me offguard.

I am like you, it doesn't offend me and I know he is talking to me.

Exactly.  
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
American Statesman
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN