Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 May graduations-need advice!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Hello ladies!  In need of some advice!  I have 3 step-daughters: 25, and twin 22 year olds who are graduating from college.  I have a bio daughter (23), a son who is graduating from high school, a daughter who is graduating from 8th grade. My husband and I have a 23 month old daughter. Soooo, hands are full!    We were planning on having one big grad party for all the kids.  Just found out today that the twins want their own grad party as they feel their grad is "a big deal.". I think it's ridiculous to have multiple parties for several reasons:  asking people to come to more than 1, cleaning/planning/expense, etc.  Need opinions/advice please!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I think a big family graduation party is fine, especially if the same people being invited would otherwise be invited to each event separately.

FloridaMomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I think they're grown ups & should be thankful that anyone is throwing them a party (even a joint one).

If they want their own party with just their friends, then they should pay for it (& plan it).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notsowicked11
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just explain to them that with that many graduating in one family, that one will have to suffice. They can appreciate it or they can not, but at least they'll be having a party. 

ramita
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I agree with others one is enough considering there is so many. I get college is a pretty big deal, but financially y'all probably can't afford it and family probably won't want to attend more than one. Is there anyway you could do something special for them during the celebration or even take them to dinner just the two of them (especially if they're the only ones graduating college)?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Treymama
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Each graduation is a big deal. not one is more important then the next. It is a big step graduating from 8th grade and moving on to high school. Graduating from high school and moving up to college is a huge thing. Graduating from college and moving onto your adult life is big. They each deserve a party and I think having a joint party is a great idea ecspecially if you are inviting all the same family members and such. The twins can have their own party and pay for it themselves if thats what they deem necessary. Just because you are having a joint party doesn't mean your saying to anyone of them their graduation is less important. 

Birdseed
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Any college graduation party I ever attended was thrown by the graduate--usually at a bar-and not by the parents.

In my neck of the woods, the HS graduation party is hosted by parents and is a big deal.

8th grade graduation was celebrated by a dinner. 

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do a joint party. I'd have a party for the kiddo graduating HS, take the 8th grade graduate out for a nice brunch or dinner, and the college grads can do their own thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
One party!!!! One party!!!! One Party!!! Tell girrls they can have "their own" if they plan pay set up clean up!!!! Congratulations and good luck!
shanlee42
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I agree with Birdseed about the 8th grade graduation. Heck, I didn't even have an 8th grade graduation.

The others I think you can do together.
Kristen.Marie
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
The high school grad is really the one who deserves the big party. The others should all get a dinner out with family.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

This, I threw my own after college

Quoting FloridaMomma:

I think they're grown ups & should be thankful that anyone is throwing them a party (even a joint one).

If they want their own party with just their friends, then they should pay for it (& plan it).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured