Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

It cracks me up...

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  • 62 Replies

When I hear other people bitching about how much their SO/DH pays in child support for multiple children.  

I was at work and one of my co-workers was pissed because her boyfriend's child support got raised.  He has three children, none of them live with him, and he sees them every other weekend.  He now has to pay $500 a month.  I laughed out loud.  She was like, "That's ridiculous isn't it?" thinking I was laughing because the amount was too high.

I said, "No.  My SO has his kid three nights a week in the CO, but sometimes it is more and he pays $560."

She shut up.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:42 AM

OMG only 500 and 560 for 3 children... That's not even enough to feed them...damn I have it made, I get 1800 for 1 child and over 2000 for alimony.

CodeBlue
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM
ExDF pays $1900 for 2 kids and he has them almost exactly half the year. 500 for 3 children is completely laughable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM

your co-worker's boyfriend must not make very much money. My Ex paid $850 a month for two kids, and that is imputed off a $47K salary (he is actually a stay at home dad, his CS was imputed).

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I would complain if I were her. It's like advertising that your SO doesn't hold a decent job.
ramita
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
My brother pays $1600/ month for two pays their insurance and gets them well he's suppose to get them for two weeks at a time. He makes about $50,000/ year.
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

My SO pays $1500 a month (also just got raised $60) for 2 kids. They are with us every other weekend, and every tuesday and thursday. As well as any time they feel like coming over or their mom has to do something and doesnt feel like taking them along. (we live very close to each other). We've been keeping the overnight on our Tuesday and Thursday and even on Sundays because they never want to go home, especially SS5.  My SO has been trying to get her to agree outside of court to make that their new agreement since the kids always want to stay and ti would be easier to know what we're doing instead of having to call her every Tues/Thurs a half and hour before they leave to see if she will let them stay over.  She wont agree to anything because she says she has to "cover her butt, and cant have him trying to get his child support lowered". So nevermind that this is what would make the kids happiest...as long as you're getting you $1500 a month.

A little back story on why the payment is so high. It was calculated in 2011....and they used 2010 W2. In 2010 my SO had worked OVER 800 hours of overtime for the year. So his yearly income that year was VERY high. (his job had purchased a new building so they were doing alot of work on the new builidng - hes an electrician). So because they calculated it based on what he earned for the year with all that overtime, instead of just his base rate, it came out to be extrememly high. He made $6000 less the following year because of lack of overtime the following year, and $6000 less than that again last year. His payment is so high that he MUST work a minimum of 20 hours of overtime a pay period (every 2 weeks) in order to make enough money to cover his bills and our rent. I cover my bills, gas & electric, groceries, and cable and internet. 2 months ago they cut ALL overtime at work. Imagine...things were already tight for us with him working a minimum of 20 hrs overtime and then they cut all overtime. Then a week ago they raised his child support $60 more a month. Which doesnt seem like much, but when you're already struggling...its tough. So we are over here struggling because he pays $1495 a month in CS. The kids are at our house more then their BM's most of the time. And in the last month BM has bought a 50 inch flat screen tv, a new fridge, a new dishwasher, new cabinets for her kitchen, and let us keep the kids on Easter because she is remodeling her kitchen so its torn apart so she wasnt doing anything for Easter. So we are struggling and she's remodeling her house. In NJ they base child support off of making sure the child lives and equal life in both places, which I totally agree with, but that's is not the case with us. We have no extra money to take them to the zoo or do any kind of fun things like that, even go out to eat. And BM has all this money she doesnt even use for them.  When she bought the new TV a few weeks ago...my SS14 said "oh she doesnt have any money to buy me new clothes when i need them, but she can buy a tv?" Not to mention a relative of the family babysits the kids. She take SS5 to school (he goes in a little later) and picks them both up after and they stay with her until one of us picks them up. BM is suppose to pay her....the babysitter told me 2 weeks ago she cant remember the last time she got paid. Its ridiculous...and we cant even help her out because we just dont have it.

So based on actual numbers etc calculated by a lawyer, they said SO should be paying HALF of what he actually pays. But like i said because they went by YEARLY income the year they calculated...we are where we are.

Sorry this is a long post, but i wanted to make sure I gave enough details that no one comes back and says that I am just a disgruntle SM because of child support etc. It really isnt even about that for us. Its about what makes the kids happy. For BM, its about how much money she gets for them. and I hate to say that, and please dont come bash me and say im just saying that, no, that opinion is formed on things she has said in the past. and I feel that if the CS was lowered to what its suppose to be, we would have the kids alot more, because she wouldnt be getting the amount of money that she wants for them, and it wouldnt be as importatnt for her to have them like it is now.

Before anyone bashes me, and says I'm complaining, or being rude in regards to BM, please feel to ask me any question and I will clarify anything. I'm not in the mood to argue today LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I thought your kids SM just had a baby a year ago or so and your kids were over 18?

Quoting whatIknownow:

your co-worker's boyfriend must not make very much money. My Ex paid $850 a month for two kids, and that is imputed off a $47K salary (he is actually a stay at home dad, his CS was imputed).

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

The baby is almost 2 now. My kids are 21 and 19, still in college so child support is still on-going. The 21yo is graduating in May, so CS will go down at that time, to half. The 19yo is in a 6-year program, so I am not sure when his CS will end.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought your kids SM just had a baby a year ago or so and your kids were over 18?

Quoting whatIknownow:

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

DH was going to have to pay BM $500/month for SS, with a 31k a year salary. That is an average salary around here, but that CS would have really hurt us.

BM is COd to pay $76/month for SS, on a job that paid $500/month (waitress). Its amazing how two different people can be made to pay two totally different amounts to support the same child.

Mommyof5247
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
So is your DH going to apply to get it lowered? I would. No way should you struggle & have the kids most of the time...then they are struggling with BM because she doesn't use it for them & they struggle with you (where they want to be) because you're broke. There's no balance.

Quoting ChelseNichole:

My SO pays $1500 a month (also just got raised $60) for 2 kids. They are with us every other weekend, and every tuesday and thursday. As well as any time they feel like coming over or their mom has to do something and doesnt feel like taking them along. (we live very close to each other). We've been keeping the overnight on our Tuesday and Thursday and even on Sundays because they never want to go home, especially SS5.  My SO has been trying to get her to agree outside of court to make that their new agreement since the kids always want to stay and ti would be easier to know what we're doing instead of having to call her every Tues/Thurs a half and hour before they leave to see if she will let them stay over.  She wont agree to anything because she says she has to "cover her butt, and cant have him trying to get his child support lowered". So nevermind that this is what would make the kids happiest...as long as you're getting you $1500 a month.

A little back story on why the payment is so high. It was calculated in 2011....and they used 2010 W2. In 2010 my SO had worked OVER 800 hours of overtime for the year. So his yearly income that year was VERY high. (his job had purchased a new building so they were doing alot of work on the new builidng - hes an electrician). So because they calculated it based on what he earned for the year with all that overtime, instead of just his base rate, it came out to be extrememly high. He made $6000 less the following year because of lack of overtime the following year, and $6000 less than that again last year. His payment is so high that he MUST work a minimum of 20 hours of overtime a pay period (every 2 weeks) in order to make enough money to cover his bills and our rent. I cover my bills, gas & electric, groceries, and cable and internet. 2 months ago they cut ALL overtime at work. Imagine...things were already tight for us with him working a minimum of 20 hrs overtime and then they cut all overtime. Then a week ago they raised his child support $60 more a month. Which doesnt seem like much, but when you're already struggling...its tough. So we are over here struggling because he pays $1495 a month in CS. The kids are at our house more then their BM's most of the time. And in the last month BM has bought a 50 inch flat screen tv, a new fridge, a new dishwasher, new cabinets for her kitchen, and let us keep the kids on Easter because she is remodeling her kitchen so its torn apart so she wasnt doing anything for Easter. So we are struggling and she's remodeling her house. In NJ they base child support off of making sure the child lives and equal life in both places, which I totally agree with, but that's is not the case with us. We have no extra money to take them to the zoo or do any kind of fun things like that, even go out to eat. And BM has all this money she doesnt even use for them.  When she bought the new TV a few weeks ago...my SS14 said "oh she doesnt have any money to buy me new clothes when i need them, but she can buy a tv?" Not to mention a relative of the family babysits the kids. She take SS5 to school (he goes in a little later) and picks them both up after and they stay with her until one of us picks them up. BM is suppose to pay her....the babysitter told me 2 weeks ago she cant remember the last time she got paid. Its ridiculous...and we cant even help her out because we just dont have it.

So based on actual numbers etc calculated by a lawyer, they said SO should be paying HALF of what he actually pays. But like i said because they went by YEARLY income the year they calculated...we are where we are.

Sorry this is a long post, but i wanted to make sure I gave enough details that no one comes back and says that I am just a disgruntle SM because of child support etc. It really isnt even about that for us. Its about what makes the kids happy. For BM, its about how much money she gets for them. and I hate to say that, and please dont come bash me and say im just saying that, no, that opinion is formed on things she has said in the past. and I feel that if the CS was lowered to what its suppose to be, we would have the kids alot more, because she wouldnt be getting the amount of money that she wants for them, and it wouldnt be as importatnt for her to have them like it is now.

Before anyone bashes me, and says I'm complaining, or being rude in regards to BM, please feel to ask me any question and I will clarify anything. I'm not in the mood to argue today LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)