Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

dating before the divorce is finalized?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 66 Replies

This doesn’t have anything to do with my situation; I just wanted to know your thoughts.

Do you think it’s wrong to start dating before the divorce is finalized? What if the stbx is also dating? If they’ve already established their separate lives (own home, no joint accounts, etc.), do you think it is okay to start dating someone that’s waiting for the paperwork to be official?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemom416
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Depends on how long they have been seperated and how the kids feel about it. My dh was seperated from his ex for 5 years before we started dating.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I did. They had been legally separated for over 2 years. The resounding answer on CM is usually no though...
pepper504
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

If the parties are no longer living together and are separate and apart, then IMO, it is fine to date a person who is going through a separation/divorce. 

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Personally I am uncomfortable with me doing that... But I think it's fine for other people, once the paperwork has been started.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
If they are already living different lives: separate house, separate finances, etc then I don't see a problem with it, but I'd advise anyone to take it slow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

i did. he was separated and she was already engaged.

kim8934
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

no, the reason I say this is because of what happened to a friend of mine while she was going through a divorce.  The judge found out about her taking a camping trip w/kids and her boyfriend...he ripped her a new one saying 'you are STILL married to HIM' pointing at he soon to be ex.

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

2 months after my xH moved out I started dating.  When he first moved out he took the kids every weekend so I felt like I had a lot of alone time.  It took a full year before we were divorced. 

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If the couple is no longer living together and are in the process of a divorce, I see nothing wrong with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I did this...but now feel kind of icky when I look back on it. They had been separated for 6 months...Wasn't bothered then...but for some reason am bothered now when I realize I dated someone who was legally married for about 3 months until divorce was finalized.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN