Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM put restrictions on SK's cell that BF pays for!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 234 Replies
So, DH got SD13 a cellphone under our account. BM says SD cannot text or call SM with it. No reason on BM's side except to be difficult because BM and SM don't get along. DH says if BM is going to restrict SD's use of the phone then DH will shut the phone off and BM can pay for it, then BM can tell SD what she can and can't do with it all she wants.

Not looking for people to say DH is in the right and BM is in the wrong just want honest opinions on the subject. Please indicate whether you are a BM or SM in your reply. Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
6 moms liked this

both parents sound like children

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
that is beside the friggin point

Quoting Anonymous:

both parents sound like children

JacyB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Ehh, it sounds petty but nothing worth fighting over or threatening to cut off the phone. Realistically, how often is a 13 year old going to be calling her SM ?

It's kinda a non issue
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

CSM only.  I think they're letting their drama overflow unnecessarily into the SD's life.  There are far bigger fish to fry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM
They actually were texting each other, until BM said STOP.

Quoting JacyB:

Ehh, it sounds petty but nothing worth fighting over or threatening to cut off the phone. Realistically, how often is a 13 year old going to be calling her SM ?

It's kinda a non issue

DDDaysh
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Your DH is within his rights to shut off the phone unless it is court ordered he provide it. 

However, BM is also within her rights to restict usage of the phone in her home, unless the usage she is restricting is specifically designated to be unrestricted by the CO. 

I guess I don't see what the big deal here is. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Not saying it is a big deal, just asking the question to get different perspectives is all.

Quoting DDDaysh:

Your DH is within his rights to shut off the phone unless it is court ordered he provide it. 

However, BM is also within her rights to restict usage of the phone in her home, unless the usage she is restricting is specifically designated to be unrestricted by the CO. 

I guess I don't see what the big deal here is. 

JacyB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If that's the case, maybe BM did have a reason and she just chose not to share. Maybe she didn't like having her daughter staring at her phone all the time, or using it at inappropriate places like the dinner table, or not paying attention to what was being said/ going on because she was too busy texting. Maybe she felt the conversations were inappropriate and topics that should be discussed with her, not sm. or she felt the conversations were disruptive to their relationship because she was being bad mouthed or undermined by SM.

The important thing is that the kid has phone access to her father.

Quoting Anonymous:

They actually were texting each other, until BM said STOP.

Quoting JacyB:

It's kinda a non issue

myownparadise
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I am a SM, and my husband and I have SS's cell on our account. He call me and texts me, so we do not have that problem. I would think the BM should restrict the child's phone usage during certain times. I really don't see why the BM would have a problem over who the child calls/texts. My SS calls and texts me more than he does his own mom and dad.
DDDaysh
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If the parent does not approve of the person being communicated with and thinks they are a bad role model or bad influence on the child, it is absolutely reasonable for them to restrict that access. 

Quoting myownparadise:

I am a SM, and my husband and I have SS's cell on our account. He call me and texts me, so we do not have that problem. I would think the BM should restrict the child's phone usage during certain times. I really don't see why the BM would have a problem over who the child calls/texts. My SS calls and texts me more than he does his own mom and dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN