Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you be concerned? sd is 8

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
  • 37 Replies
My SD has aspergers She takes respidone two 0.5mg pills a day ( one in the am and one in the PM) and a 3mg of melatonin at night.  She has been at her mom's all spring break. It's the first time in month's she has seen her mom and I'm pretty shocked that she fought with DH to keep her until Sunday and didn't jump out the door when DH asked to get her back early. Anyway BM called dh today and told him that SD was out of meds ( I told him to count the pills before SD left and to get more if need be. I guess he forgot)  and sd asked if she could have 2 melatonins (6mg) tonight. So BM gave her both pills. It's not a huge deal because SD can have up to 10mg of melitonin but really she only needs the 3mg and the rispidone just makes her a little more calm a few days with out it won't hurt her but melatonin is not a sub for rispidone and too much melitonin can desensitise her body and make it think that she always needs that much to get to sleep. I'm mostly upset because she let an 8 year old decide how much meds she gets. I mean what the hell is wrong with you. DH said don't do that anymore she will be fine for a few days with just a little rispidone and if you ever run out again while she is there please call and say something I will have a pharmacy down there fill a partial script until she gets home. She kept saying "Well my mom is a nurse and she said it was fine to do it plus SD wanted it so I just thought it'd ok."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jeeperss
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I would be concerned enough to call the Dr. and ask if it should be a concern.

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I would but the dr said sd can have up to 10mg of melatonin a day but to start with 1mg and work up stopping at the mg that works best. 3 works best but this won't concern the dr as an emergency because its not over 3mg. I can't believe it this coming from the woman who through a big fit because sd used to take ADHD meds and blamed all sd behaviors on us over medicating her! Sd isnt even on the adhd meds anymore and has behaviors before the meds. This lady is a freaking nutt job.

Quoting Jeeperss:

I would be concerned enough to call the Dr. and ask if it should be a concern.

thatislife
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, no the kid shouldn't be dosing herself but for the vast majority of kids no, an extra melatonin is not going to be a problem nor is it going to make her dependent to have an extra on one night.  The bigger problem here to me is that you did not send with enough risperdal, a medication that it is more important to take as ordered.  That needs to be a priority on your dh's end before sending the kid with bm.  The lack of that might be why bm felt ok with the extra melatonin after checking with a her mom who is a nurse to help the child relax and the child was probably anxious knowing she didn't have her other meds.  I think if it is ok for dh to 'forget' to send enough prescription risperdal that this bm can be cut a break for giving an additional otc supplement (totaling 6 mg) that even your doctor has approved as safe for a dose up to 10 mg. 

Also he said she will be fine a few days without the risperdal instead of making efforts today to get it to her?  No, she is not going to die without is that is true for most meds, but it is meant to be taken regularly to be most effective so why is he not making efforts to get his child her medications that he messed up and didn't send?

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
At 8, my son could tell me how the melatonin was affecting him - he also has Aspergers. While it is not a substitute for the other med, not having the other in her system could affect the amount she needs. Your are also still substantially under the max dose the doctor has said.

I would ask her how she is doing with it and then have an adult decide if the dose should be altered, but only to set a precedent for taking other meds. The melatonin issue is not a big deal and not a hill to die on.
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
He told her he would send a partial to the pharmacy today. And according to sd dr she's fine without it. Shouldn't it be just as much her responsibility to say hey u didn't send me enough pills? She's refilled scripts during the summer for sd before. Besides hee mom is a nurse at a nursing home not sds dr. So its like saying o when the residents run out of one med I just sub it for the other because I forgot to fill the script. I mean I told him this is your fault too for more spending her enough meds but really she shouldn't go off what an 8 yr old says.

Quoting thatislife:

Well, no the kid shouldn't be dosing herself but for the vast majority of kids no, an extra melatonin is not going to be a problem nor is it going to make her dependent to have an extra on one night.  The bigger problem here to me is that you did not send with enough risperdal, a medication that it is more important to take as ordered.  That needs to be a priority on your dh's end before sending the kid with bm.  The lack of that might be why bm felt ok with the extra melatonin after checking with a her mom who is a nurse to help the child relax and the child was probably anxious knowing she didn't have her other meds.  I think if it is ok for dh to 'forget' to send enough prescription risperdal that this bm can be cut a break for giving an additional otc supplement (totaling 6 mg) that even your doctor has approved as safe for a dose up to 10 mg. 

Also he said she will be fine a few days without the risperdal instead of making efforts today to get it to her?  No, she is not going to die without is that is true for most meds, but it is meant to be taken regularly to be most effective so why is he not making efforts to get his child her medications that he messed up and didn't send?

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Ok well my sd has the IQ of a 5 yr old so I guess she's at a different spot on the spectrum then other kids. Her actual diagnosis is ASD/NOS which means she is autistic but not all of her systems follow the spectrum. Like she doesn't have a lack in social skills but behaviors, topic focus, and sensory is the same. Also no one night won't desensitize her but sd is suppose to be there until Monday. Maybe 3 nights won't do it but she's sooo stuck on schedule when she gets home we are sure to have a melt down if bm continues to do this. Also I've seen sd on 3mg of melatonin everyday for 3 yrs and 3 still kicks her butt and knocks her out in mins. I can't only imagine what 6mg did to that kid she will probably sleep until 1:00 today.
She's been on only melatonin before and it works fine alone for sleep. I was actually considering asking her dr if we could nix the night rispidal and just do melatonin. Maybe move it to the day or give is to her only during extreme meltdowns.

Quoting HopesNDreams:

At 8, my son could tell me how the melatonin was affecting him - he also has Aspergers. While it is not a substitute for the other med, not having the other in her system could affect the amount she needs. Your are also still substantially under the max dose the doctor has said.

I would ask her how she is doing with it and then have an adult decide if the dose should be altered, but only to set a precedent for taking other meds. The melatonin issue is not a big deal and not a hill to die on.

thatislife
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Nope, she shouldn't go off what an 8 year old says but it appears the checking she did that this otc supplement was safe for another was accurate as it was well under the amount even the child's md deems safe but it would have been best to check with md or bd first.  It is just coming across you want to crucify her for her mistake but your dh not as big a deal even though he is the one who should be on top of the meds and isn't.  If he can't be bothered to be it seems like you are taking that as less of a problem then if she is.  And yes she will not perish without it (like most meds) but risperdal is most effective when taken regularly.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

He told her he would send a partial to the pharmacy today. And according to sd dr she's fine without it. Shouldn't it be just as much her responsibility to say hey u didn't send me enough pills? She's refilled scripts during the summer for sd before. Besides hee mom is a nurse at a nursing home not sds dr. So its like saying o when the residents run out of one med I just sub it for the other because I forgot to fill the script. I mean I told him this is your fault too for more spending her enough meds but really she shouldn't go off what an 8 yr old says.

Quoting thatislife:

thatislife
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

While not unheard of risperdal is generally not the first drug of choice for prn use.  It seems in this post you are saying that you would want to take risperdal away and just use melatonin but in your original post seemed to indicte one does not compensate in any way for the other.  Maybe I read this wrong.  Overall this is just coming across as a bm sucks post when while I agree she didn't do things perfect with giving an extra melatonin otc supplement pill after doing some checking that you are kind of giving a 'not cool but no big deal' view to your dh who didn't bother to send adequate prescription medications with his child despite even being prompted by you to do so. 

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Ok well my sd has the IQ of a 5 yr old so I guess she's at a different spot on the spectrum then other kids. Her actual diagnosis is ASD/NOS which means she is autistic but not all of her systems follow the spectrum. Like she doesn't have a lack in social skills but behaviors, topic focus, and sensory is the same. Also no one night won't desensitize her but sd is suppose to be there until Monday. Maybe 3 nights won't do it but she's sooo stuck on schedule when she gets home we are sure to have a melt down if bm continues to do this. Also I've seen sd on 3mg of melatonin everyday for 3 yrs and 3 still kicks her butt and knocks her out in mins. I can't only imagine what 6mg did to that kid she will probably sleep until 1:00 today.
She's been on only melatonin before and it works fine alone for sleep. I was actually considering asking her dr if we could nix the night rispidal and just do melatonin. Maybe move it to the day or give is to her only during extreme meltdowns.

Quoting HopesNDreams:

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree that SD shouldn't be deciding how to take her meds. BM is NCP, right? I really think it was your DH's responsibility to send the correct amount of meds with BM on the visit. It's not really fair to hang her for having to figure out a plan B because DH didn't send her enough meds. She should have called DH as soon as she realized SD was out of meds, yes, but that should have never been an issue in the first place. I think next time DH should send the right meds and no one will have to deal with these issues.
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM
She could of said hey she's down to one pill what do I do not I gave her an extra pill of something else. She knows we can have a partial script sent there and sd is on medicaid so it's free. She should have just called him out on his mistake not added to it. Two wrongs don't make a right and her mom doesn't know sds medical history anymore then bm. So u can't ask a lady who's been a nurse in a small nursing home for yrs. I'm just mostly wondering if we should document this. I did make a big deal out of what he did.
Quoting thatislife: 
Nope, she shouldn't go off what an 8 year old says but it appears the checking she did that this otc supplement was safe for another was accurate as it was well under the amount even the child's md deems safe but it would have been best to check with md or bd first.  It is just coming across you want to crucify her for her mistake but your dh not as big a deal even though he is the one who should be on top of the meds and isn't.  If he can't be bothered to be it seems like you are taking that as less of a problem then if she is.  And yes she will not perish without it (like most meds) but risperdal is most effective when taken regularly.
Quoting mamaBerg85:He told her he would send a partial to the pharmacy today. And according to sd dr she's fine without it. Shouldn't it be just as much her responsibility to say hey u didn't send me enough pills? She's refilled scripts during the summer for sd before. Besides hee mom is a nurse at a nursing home not sds dr. So its like saying o when the residents run out of one med I just sub it for the other because I forgot to fill the script. I mean I told him this is your fault too for more spending her enough meds but really she shouldn't go off what an 8 yr old says.
Quoting thatislife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured