Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

would you be concerned? sd is 8

Posted by   + Show Post
My SD has aspergers She takes respidone two 0.5mg pills a day ( one in the am and one in the PM) and a 3mg of melatonin at night.  She has been at her mom's all spring break. It's the first time in month's she has seen her mom and I'm pretty shocked that she fought with DH to keep her until Sunday and didn't jump out the door when DH asked to get her back early. Anyway BM called dh today and told him that SD was out of meds ( I told him to count the pills before SD left and to get more if need be. I guess he forgot)  and sd asked if she could have 2 melatonins (6mg) tonight. So BM gave her both pills. It's not a huge deal because SD can have up to 10mg of melitonin but really she only needs the 3mg and the rispidone just makes her a little more calm a few days with out it won't hurt her but melatonin is not a sub for rispidone and too much melitonin can desensitise her body and make it think that she always needs that much to get to sleep. I'm mostly upset because she let an 8 year old decide how much meds she gets. I mean what the hell is wrong with you. DH said don't do that anymore she will be fine for a few days with just a little rispidone and if you ever run out again while she is there please call and say something I will have a pharmacy down there fill a partial script until she gets home. She kept saying "Well my mom is a nurse and she said it was fine to do it plus SD wanted it so I just thought it'd ok."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (31-37):
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Trust me he got his ass chewed out for all of this. Also is not well with in bms rights to decide She dOesn't have any legal custody.

Quoting thatislife:

Okay, he is more worried that bm gave an otc supplement that she would have the ability to do of her own accord then that he is sending off an inadequate supply of prescription medications to someone that is now being claimed to be a 'druggie' and not even bothering to count the pills.  Somehow not surprised. 

Quoting mamaBerg85:

He is more worried like I am about the fact that sd said I want 2 of one pill and bm just handed the pills over. Like if sd said hey mom can I take this pill on the street would bm say sure hun?

Quoting thatislife:

This makes it even more bizarre to me that your dh would not be absolutly on top of meds or would say 'tell me if you run out'.  When he is saying that wouldn't that right there be his own prompt to stop and count the meds and get the ball running at that time if he was giving to her short of what was needed.  Are you sure he is competent to handle this?  Again, is your dh as worked up over this as you are?

Quoting mamaBerg85:

I actually wonder sometimes if bm steals sds pills we used to count them and bm always says she ran out. I was ready to throw a bigger fit because of this situation and then dh told me he forgot to count the pills. Bm is facing court right now for drug charges because of pot and because the cop found a pill in her purse and she isn't legally on any pills. So it makes me nervous because it's like welll maybe bm took it but we will never know.

Quoting LittleMama2012:

I don't agree with bm's way of handling things either. Ido understand why you are upset. Medicine is one of those things that we tend to have problems with. Bm had 5 risperdone left and wouldn't give him any because she said she would run out. SD was going to be with us so I would think that the meds would go with SD.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

I know and he got his ass chewed out because of it.

Quoting LittleMama2012:

My SD is on risperdal for aggressive behaviors. Ex: bashing ds4's face into a table or repeatedly slamming ds1's fingers in a door while laughing.

Bm let us run out and SD had a major meltdown. Dh really needs to keep on top of the meds.

thatislife
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

People without legal custody give nonprescription meds all the time -think grandma's, aunts, etc..,  So unless it has been put in a court order ( which I'm sure you would have led with ) that she is not allowed to give an otc supplement then she has legally done nothing wrong.  Now as I said previous for the purpose of the child's training of course she doesn't get to decide which she didn't, sounds like she made a suggestion and bm decided to follow it.  It is just really obvious that you are trying to blow up bm giving an otc supplement not seeing that you need to drop that when comparing it to what your dh did.  While I know you have said you have 'chewed his ass' maybe you really just need to leave it between these two parents instead of being the bd ass chewer and the bm accuser.  They are human, they both made a mistake, and you really should just let it go.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Trust me he got his ass chewed out for all of this. Also is not well with in bms rights to decide She dOesn't have any legal custody.

Quoting thatislife:

Okay, he is more worried that bm gave an otc supplement that she would have the ability to do of her own accord then that he is sending off an inadequate supply of prescription medications to someone that is now being claimed to be a 'druggie' and not even bothering to count the pills.  Somehow not surprised. 

notsowicked11
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM
That was my while point, and that is what makes me concerned as to why this child us on reperidone in the first place because it doesn't seem like the parents are on top of it and know much about it, especially to say oh it's ok to miss a few days. What!?!? Just from the sounds of it, it sounds like dr prescribed it and dad just said ok w/o knowing anything about it.

Quoting thatislife:

This makes it even more bizarre to me that your dh would not be absolutly on top of meds or would say 'tell me if you run out'.  When he is saying that wouldn't that right there be his own prompt to stop and count the meds and get the ball running at that time if he was giving to her short of what was needed.  Are you sure he is competent to handle this?  Again, is your dh as worked up over this as you are?

Quoting mamaBerg85:

I actually wonder sometimes if bm steals sds pills we used to count them and bm always says she ran out. I was ready to throw a bigger fit because of this situation and then dh told me he forgot to count the pills. Bm is facing court right now for drug charges because of pot and because the cop found a pill in her purse and she isn't legally on any pills. So it makes me nervous because it's like welll maybe bm took it but we will never know.

Quoting LittleMama2012:

I don't agree with bm's way of handling things either. Ido understand why you are upset. Medicine is one of those things that we tend to have problems with. Bm had 5 risperdone left and wouldn't give him any because she said she would run out. SD was going to be with us so I would think that the meds would go with SD.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Quoting LittleMama2012:

My SD is on risperdal for aggressive behaviors. Ex: bashing ds4's face into a table or repeatedly slamming ds1's fingers in a door while laughing.

Bm let us run out and SD had a major meltdown. Dh really needs to keep on top of the meds.

notsowicked11
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Sorry for the auto correct typos lol

Quoting notsowicked11:

That was my while point, and that is what makes me concerned as to why this child us on reperidone in the first place because it doesn't seem like the parents are on top of it and know much about it, especially to say oh it's ok to miss a few days. What!?!? Just from the sounds of it, it sounds like dr prescribed it and dad just said ok w/o knowing anything about it.

Quoting thatislife:

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Quoting LittleMama2012:

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Quoting LittleMama2012:

notsowicked11
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

After going back and reading the comments and replies, none of this is adding up. After dh was called out about not sending enough meds, mom is now facing drug charges, so now mom is made out to be stealing the pills. Why wasn't this allegation brought up in original post? Two and two does not equal four somewhere.

KreatingMe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Did I miss something? Is the OP really questioning the NCP's right to give a child a dose of medicine that IS well within the recommended dosage? Honest to bob is that the discussion here? 

thatislife
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You are of course right.  It is always telling when new shocking allegations surface pages after the OP and only after the responses seem to be tiding in a direction different then the OP may have wished.

Quoting notsowicked11:

After going back and reading the comments and replies, none of this is adding up. After dh was called out about not sending enough meds, mom is now facing drug charges, so now mom is made out to be stealing the pills. Why wasn't this allegation brought up in original post? Two and two does not equal four somewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)