Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM thinks she can get my money.

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 47 Replies

I couldn't believe it when DH told me that BM had mentioned to him that her lawyer told her she could get my income included in child support.

I've looked into it in the past and I don't see any way she can really do this. We are in Texas. DH and I have been married for 5 yrs, we file our taxes together.

I was in high school when these kids were born. I didn't meet them til they were 8 and 10 yrs old. But BM seems to think I am obligated to pay for kids that aren't mine? That she would prefer I have nothing to do with?

I think this woman is seriously off her rocker.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I'm not aware of a situation other than DH asking you to cover CS and other child related expenses where your income would be considered.

sarahfire
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Neither am I. Everything I have read says the spouses income is not included. Unless there was some exception where my dh was on disability or something, its not going to happpen.

I am just kind of floored that she would even say this. I have done a lot for her kids over the past 6-7 yrs, I buy them things not because I have to but because I want to, and this is the thanks I get.

Quoting Birdseed:

I'm not aware of a situation other than DH asking you to cover CS and other child related expenses where your income would be considered.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I have not heard of a circumstance where sm income is used to calculate cs. Even if the court looks at your tax forms they would only include what is input as his income and would exclude yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quoting sarahfire:

Neither am I. Everything I have read says the spouses income is not included. Unless there was some exception where my dh was on disability or something, its not going to happpen.

I am just kind of floored that she would even say this. I have done a lot for her kids over the past 6-7 yrs, I buy them things not because I have to but because I want to, and this is the thanks I get.

Quoting Birdseed:

If her attorney told her that, then she has a very bad attorney methinks.  But, chances are that BM came up with that on her own.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It's probably not a matter of not being thankful that you already do for her kids.  It's more a matter of hoping she can get a little more money.  I don't think that's going to happen.

ConcernedCousin
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
she is lying to your husband. the only income she can go after for support of her children is the children's father
DDDaysh
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Unless your DH is underemployed for some reason, then don't worry about it.

sarahfire
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting sarahfire:

Quoting Birdseed:

If her attorney told her that, then she has a very bad attorney methinks.  But, chances are that BM came up with that on her own.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It's probably not a matter of not being thankful that you already do for her kids.  It's more a matter of hoping she can get a little more money.  I don't think that's going to happen.

Oh thats all she's been after for the past 3 yrs is more money. She used to have a good job, then got fired and ever since then has been acting like a damn gold digger wanting more money from my husband and he doesn't have it. But for some reason she thinks we are rich or holding out on her. We are not. We pay her more than we can really even afford to for those 2 kids. SHe needs to focus on looking for a job instead of trying to squeeze us for every red cent.

sarahfire
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Oh we know she is lying, it aggravates us though. We try to do our best by those kids but she makes it very damn difficult.

Quoting ConcernedCousin:

she is lying to your husband. the only income she can go after for support of her children is the children's father

sid1083
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Granted this is not TX, but in OR if a bio-parent is married the court can take the spouse's income into consideration for setting a support amount (greater financial advantage afforded to the married couple). The court cannot however, use the SP's actual income in the amount. And the door certainly swings both ways.

Quoting MommySabs:

I have not heard of a circumstance where sm income is used to calculate cs. Even if the court looks at your tax forms they would only include what is input as his income and would exclude yours.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this

TX doesn't give a flying rat's ass what the CP or any SP makes.  The max she can get is 25% of his disposable income for the two kids.  If she wants to bitch about it and consult attorneys, let her.  It her time and dime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN