Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

To much of an age difference???

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 37 Replies

Just curious what people think no ones opinion will change my relationship. Just really curious to see responses. 

"Someone" told SO that I am to young for him and my kids are to young and people will think that they are his grand kids and I could pass for young enough to be his DD. here are the stats

ME: 37 I have a DS and DD 6 years old

HIM:47 He has a DS 26, DD,25  and DS 22.

Opinions ??? Mine was along the lines of ...STFU!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

LOL.

I'm 34 with no kids and my DH is 43 with 2 teens 13 and 15.  It's awesome for me when I get called "the older sister" but I'm pretty sure it is mortifying for the kids.

Your DH started young, you started late. Who cares?  

DH and I are looking to try...I'll still be an older mom, but he'll be an even older dad and no one seems to get weird about older dads anywhere I've lived.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I think at some point it becomes less about age and more about where you are in life. Jmo I think there is a lot less difference between 37 and 47 than between 27 and 37. Even though they are both equal in difference in years a 27 yo is more likely to be in a different place than a 37 yo. I hope I am making my point lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
That's funny. My parents were more than 10 years apart and they never thought my dad was my grandfather. Maybe because it was a different generation so who knows nowadays. 10 years is not bad though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoodIsLife
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think when people kind of hit 30 the rule of "partner's age" becomes larger. You at 18 and him at 28 would be HUGE. I think past 30 the gap becomes somewhere around 20 years forward (to me). So you're good. If you love him and he loves you and everyone loves the kids, then you're golden pony boy!

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Meh, they can mind their own business.  DH and I are more than 10 years apart.  He didn't start having kids until he was in his 30s.  I'm currently in my 30s, and we're trying to have one together.  A good friend of mine has a 16yr gap with her husband, and they have three kids.  To my knowledge, no one ever assumed her husband was grandpa.  Age gaps aren't uncommon.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
10 years? Nothing. I'm six years younger than DH and thinks he hit the trophy bride jackpot!

I hope your DH isn't listening to others.

Ex husband is two years older than me. However, he has barely aged since our twenties. I knew that if I stayed with him until our sixties, he would be mistaken for my son. Secretly, it is why I divorced him. Kidding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinklebites
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh I totally agree with at a certain point age doesn't matter we still have alot in common, but sometimes he will reminisce about something like a show or toy and he will ask me if I remember. Ummm no Goober your in 1977 you were 12 I was 2 and pooping my pants! I do have  a age limit I have dated someone 14 years older and it was to much but I think that was just him he was very "old man-like".

twinklebites
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Doesn't bother him at all I am his hot young thing!! I just think its comical that people think that he needs to hear their opinion. Sure he looks older than I do but not old enough for anyone to seriously think I am his DD and if I was that young who caers!

Quoting pdxmum:

10 years? Nothing. I'm six years younger than DH and thinks he hit the trophy bride jackpot!

I hope your DH isn't listening to others.

Ex husband is two years older than me. However, he has barely aged since our twenties. I knew that if I stayed with him until our sixties, he would be mistaken for my son. Secretly, it is why I divorced him. Kidding.

gingerprincess
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

That's stupid as fuhhh...

I'm 22, DH is 41. He has an DS11 and DD15. I have a DS6, and just lost my DS4. We are TTC as well.

If you're happy, who cares? Screw the haters, love.

BioNerd
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

That doesn't seem like a large age gap at all. That's only ten years. I wouldn't give them any attention!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN