Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Teenage boys...devils or little princes....a little PSA.

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
4 moms liked this

After a long shift at work last night, I stopped at the grocery store for a couple of quick things.  There were two teenaged boys in line in front of me.  Both had their ear phones in. One was screwing around with his iPod and holding a skate board.  The other was trying to buy a gallon of that Arizona Iced Tea.

At first I seriously thought "There's trouble...8pm at night, 14YOs out at the grocery store, not interacting with the cashier, totally into their music and just in la la land. nice"

Well, the one kid was trying to pay.  He had a debit card and when I heard the "declined" beep, I I looked up and noticed that he had no cash in his wallet, just that card. 

The lady behind me sighed and mumbled something.  The kid fumbled with his card and tried again.  Cashier said kind of loudly, more loudly than needed "it was declined."

lady behind me mumbled and sighed some more.  Kid looked mortified. 

I said, "Put it on mine please."

The kid thanked me as I paid.  Thanked me again as he grabbed his stuff and left.

When I got outside to the parking lot, the kids were waiting and thanked me again and asked for my address so they could send me money.

I felt so badly for judging them.  Sure, they could take the danged ear buds out and play nice with the cashier.  But in all honesty, they were just as polite and nice as one could hope for.  *I* felt like the a-hole for thinking they'd be anything otherwise.

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BioNerd
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

This made me smile. Having a bad night. Thanks Bird. <3

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell you a story.  You know I love stories.  I picked DDs kinder because it was an alternative K-12 public school.  Only 400 students.  In theory I loved the idea of mixed ages and my 5 year old interacting with HS's.

first day, my sweet beautiful girl is clutching my hand.  And we have to walk down the HS hallway.  They were huge!  As loud.  As scary and their hair was in their face and they were hanging all ver each other.  And they were loud.  I probably looked like a deer in the headlights.  And there was this one particularly large male student.  I mean huge.  He looked like a man, not a HSer.  And I just knew he was glowering at me and ready to eat my daughter.

Starting to regret by theories.

About a week later, I come to help out during the day and the kids are outside.  Climbing all over that huge, mountain of a boy/man.  And he is laughing and grinning from ear to ear.  

Not all high schoolers are nice kids.  But most of them are.  Even the scary looking ones just need an excuse to connect and smile.

I never regretted my school choice decision.

Nature_girl
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing. Needed a reminder to not judge people before I know them at least a hello. :)

mom_to_kenzie
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
How nice of you to pay. It's always nice to hear that there are still good kids out there. I was called ma'am the other day at a gas station by a teenage boy. I had asked the cashier about something and he had given the wrong information and sent the kid out to get my attention and the kid starts out with "excuse me, ma'am. The attendant.........". While it makes me feel super old (I'm only 24), it was nice to hear some teens with respect for their "elders".
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

What a great story!  I love it!

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM
It was a great story and very nice of you to get the tea for them. My OSS is 14. I think the thing w/teenagers is they don't think about how others percieve them. Such as knowing when it's appropriate to take the ear buds out. Just about everywhere we go we have to tell him to take his ear buds out or take his hat off lol. He doesn't mean any harm and he's not trying to be rude he just doesn't see the big deal. I think a lot of teenagers are often misunderstood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My experience has been this in an excption to the norm.  Good of those kids to be so polite, but do agree that the ear buds, texting, all that CRAP is far to excess.

Good for you for being a good Samaritan. At least YOU know that YOU also did the right thing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN