Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child support and Social Security

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 30 Replies

DH is CP, BM is OC EOWE, but takes about 30% of her visits. BM is ordered to pay $148 a month in CS, but DH has yet to receive anything.

DH is applying for social security for SD due to her disabilities. It'll be easier for her to qualify as a child and then transition as an adult than to try and apply as an adult (there's a lot of concern as to how she'll function as an adult).

Anyways, does anyone know how social security disability effects child support? I'm sure DH could just call and ask, but I figured I'd check here to see if anyone knew. 

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoodIsLife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No clue, sorry mama. I would assume theyre totally seperate?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

In the child support worksheet they ask if the child has any income, which this would be income for HER. And in the social security worksheets they ask for all income in the home, include child support.

So, I just don't know. 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

FoodIsLife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

In your state do they take BMs and BDs income into account then divy the difference of time/money owed? (does that make sense?)

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

In the child support worksheet they ask if the child has any income, which this would be income for HER. And in the social security worksheets they ask for all income in the home, include child support.

So, I just don't know. 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

FoodIsLife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

For CS they take into consideration the income of both parents and the decide the CS amount. They don't take into consideration how much time the NCP has with the child, unless it's 50/50 residential time.

For social security they take into consideration the CP's household income.

Quoting FoodIsLife:

In your state do they take BMs and BDs income into account then divy the difference of time/money owed? (does that make sense?)

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

So, I just don't know. 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

hahaha, this totally gave me my answer, LOL. They take into consideration 2/3 of the child support paid. 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

Maybe this will help.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/policybriefs/pb2004-02.html

FoodIsLife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I'm a good googler lol My friends ask me random questions all the time that they can't find answers to...they've made me awesome at it :-)

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

hahaha, this totally gave me my answer, LOL. They take into consideration 2/3 of the child support paid. 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

Maybe this will help.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/policybriefs/pb2004-02.html

DDDaysh
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Good luck with the SSI stuff.  It really is a nightmare.  I remember trying to go through it for my former SD...  YIKES!  

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

SD received SSDI from birth to age 3 when BM refused to sign the release forms for SD's case to be re-evaluated. With all of her issues she has going on and documented proof of her developmental delays it shouldn't be too hard to get it approved.

Thanks though. I imagine this is going to turn into a huge issue with BM. She doesn't want SD to get SSDI because she doesn't want to think of SD as "not normal". But, all of SD's providers think it would be in her best interest. 

Quoting DDDaysh:

Good luck with the SSI stuff.  It really is a nightmare.  I remember trying to go through it for my former SD...  YIKES!  

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM
They will deduct CS from a child's disability payment dollar for dollar after the first $25. So whatever your LO qualifies for they will subtract $123 in your case. If you live in a state that does medical support, that is not discounted from SSI. If BM doesn't pay her CS payments then you can submit forms every month saying you didn't get CS and they will give you the full amount. Here's the kicker, if BM pays a big lump sum of CS at some point to stay out of trouble with the courts, SSI will subtract all the CS she paid from the SSI until its covered.

I hope this helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)