Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Shampoo and nothing of my own - vent and pity party

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 139 Replies

Hi Ladies,  This morning I went to wash my hair in "good" shampoo that my mom bought me (I dont get the good stuff anymore since I'm a stepmom).  Well I cant find it and I KNOW I left it in my bathroom (my bathroom is 1/2 bath).  I look in the other bathroom (that we all use with a shower etc) and its not there I ask my husband and of course he is clueless.  WWWEEELLLLLLL, something tells me to look in the trash can in the big bathroom......... and there it is...... the top had been screwed completely off and just dumped with shampoo everywhere in the can.  I was so upset. 

I guess I was upset because NOTHING is "just mine" anymore.  No I dont have kids of my own just my two step sons (who love to take bubble baths) and husband.  I have taken pains to keep the shampoo and conditioner that my mom gave me away from the big bathroom but even that didnt help.

Am I being WAY over sensitive?  Its not the shampoo its the fact that it was mine and one of "them" put their grubby hands all over it!!!!

I dont have a place to "lock" to keep my stuff in... so I cant do that.  My husband doesnt understand what the big deal is.  What do I do? I feel like I'm losing all my privacy!!!

I have a good idea of which kid it was... I want so badly to go crash his room and take all the crap his mom gives him and throw it away..... BUT I"M NOT I'm an adult...

He is home from his moms now and I have barely said a word to him... I cant or I'll get upset and make an even bigger deal out of it.  It was JUST SHAMPOO.. but my mom got it for ME and no one else (yes I'm selfish about this particular shampoo.. sue me ha)..

Just needed to vent... what would you do?

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BioNerd
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM
6 moms liked this

I do not think you are being over sensitive. Hell, it *is* just shampoo, but the thing is that it was yours. Your husband should be backing you up and letting his children know that it is wrong to mess with other people's things that do not belong to them.

What would I do? I personally would tell DH that he needs to explain to his children that what is (insert name here) belongs to her, and it is not theirs to tamper with. If you do, there will be consequences.

End of story.

kimkrys1
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much... I was afraid I was over reacting... I KNOW DH thinks I am on my period or over reacting!!

Quoting BioNerd:

I do not think you are being over sensitive. Hell, it *is* just shampoo, but the thing is that it was yours. Your husband should be backing you up and letting his children know that it is wrong to mess with other people's things that do not belong to them.

What would I do? I personally would tell DH that he needs to explain to his children that what is (insert name here) belongs to her, and it is not theirs to tamper with. If you do, there will be consequences.

End of story.

lnr187
1 mom liked this

i thnk it would be appropriate to tell the boys that certain things are just yours and they need to respect your stuff. they can use the shampoo purchased for them, but to leave yours alone. if they want a bubble bath, they must ask for the soap to do so. same for other things that are yours. just as they probably don't want you taking their stuff.

CodeBlue
1 mom liked this
Q1: you don't get the good shampoo anymore because you're a SM? Whaaa??

I understand why you're upset, it's the principle of the thing.. But. It's shampoo! Go buy some more, keep it in your room, and bring it out each time you want to use it.

I think from the tone of your post, you need to get out and do some stuff for YOU. No kids, no hubby - do something for you.

What's the custody situation? How often are they with you? How often do you watch them by yourself if hubby is not home?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nature_girl
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Taking something that is not yours us wrong. Do they get allowance? They can replace it. They won't learn without consequences.
mamakenzi
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. I got mad at SD15 because she thought when I moved in she could use my makeup/bath products/clothes any time she felt like it. My DH and I talked to her and told her that we respect other's property. She was to not use or borrow my things without asking. We haven't had any more issues with it. Kids need to learn to respect other's property and those lessons start at home.

Quoting BioNerd:

End of story.

BioNerd
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Doesn't matter even if you are (period). Fact of the matter is that no matter what the offended object is, you still have a right to your personal property, and the kids need to respect that. That doesn't just go for you, either. That goes for anyone's personal property. Kids need to respect that kind of thing, imo.

Quoting kimkrys1:

Thank you so much... I was afraid I was over reacting... I KNOW DH thinks I am on my period or over reacting!!

Quoting BioNerd:

End of story.

BioNerd
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This is exactly my point.

Quoting mamakenzi:

Exactly. I got mad at SD15 because she thought when I moved in she could use my makeup/bath products/clothes any time she felt like it. My DH and I talked to her and told her that we respect other's property. She was to not use or borrow my things without asking. We haven't had any more issues with it. Kids need to learn to respect other's property and those lessons start at home.

Quoting BioNerd:

End of story.

destiny83
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It's shampoo. They don't know that it's precious to you. I wonder why a brand of shampoo that your mom gave you is so precious anyways. I mean I get that you don't want a twenty dollar shampoo to go to waste but is it really a big deal in your life? 

Have your DH talk to them about not using your products. If they don't abide put your products away- yes you may have to do this, you welcomed kids into your life so.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I was thinking the same thing as BN.

I am particluar about my body and hair products, and I would be upset if one of the kids did that. esp because it sounds like they were just being wasteful, and possibly a bit mean spirited. 

I would pumish my dd or ss if they did this.  if you do not punish your sks, I would expect dad to do it immediately.  and then they can work to earn the money to buy you a new bottle.

Quoting BioNerd:

End of story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN