Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

50/50 no CS...BM on TANF?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 54 Replies
I was speaking with a guy the other day in passing...I don't know him from Adam and I know that what he has told me may not be the truth but it has been weighing on my mind as of late.... BACKGROUND ON GUY...young guy with one daughter...50/50 custody no CS...divorced for 3 years... BM decided to get on TANF (in Georgia) to help with her expenses 2 years ago...BD had no idea and went on life taking on the responsibilities of being a "half-time" dad with the 50/50 one week on wone week off schedule...now the State (Georgia) has contacted him and is going to garnish his wages because his ex applied for and recieved the welfare. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so how can it happen? How can the ex with a CO that says no CS since he is supporting his child 50% of the time be liable for BM's decision for welfare? Also, could he fight the state and possibly get custody full time? Can you call the Dept. of Children's Services to find out if BM is on TANF before the State comes after the BD and garnish his wages?
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

In my limited experience, if Parent A files for state support, the state will go after the other parent to cover that if possible.  My experience is limited to IA, TX, and MI though.  No experience in GA.  And that's even WITH CS being paid.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM
It can work that way... :/ if she was receiving assistance for the child the state will expect the other parent to pay if they are working.

And no, it's highly unlikely that a court will give him full custody because mom needs assistance. They would more likely order CS for her so she can provide for the child better in her home.

Shrugs. :/
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

He can show his CO that there is no CS being paid so he shouldn't have to pay back the state.

It is not a reason full custody.  Why would you even ask?

Rae706
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM

How does BM being on any kind of assistance have anything to do with BD?

Panda113
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
CS can still be required in 50/50 custody if there is a difference in income between the two parents. So even though mom may not have requested CS, she requested welfare. So in that case if one parent should be paying CS (by the calculating based on income), the welfare agency will collect the CS as a way to fund the benefits paid to mom.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting Rae706:

The state wants to recoup their expenses.  This is not uncommon actually.

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quoting WifeyC:

He can show his CO that there is no CS being paid so he shouldn't have to pay back the state.

It is not a reason full custody.  Why would you even ask?

This. 

Rae706
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Recoup from the other parent? How is that their responsibility? 

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting Rae706:

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Panda113:

CS can still be required in 50/50 custody if there is a difference in income between the two parents. So even though mom may not have requested CS, she requested welfare. So in that case if one parent should be paying CS (by the calculating based on income), the welfare agency will collect the CS as a way to fund the benefits paid to mom.

I have 50/50 with my ex and I would NEVER do what this woman did.  I would have asked my ex if he could help out a bit, but not go behind his back and get welfare.  That, in itself, is just messed up.  IMO.

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask the state's welfare system.  Do you think that welfare should not be paid back?  Lord knows I have a shit ton of dependants who suck off the teet down here.  It would be nice if they knew who their baby's daddy was and he could pay for their mistake[s], not me.

Quoting Rae706:

Recoup from the other parent? How is that their responsibility? 

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting Rae706:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN