Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG I want a trade in

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
Im on bed rest so now i am home 24/7. I noticed this behavior before but i worked 2nd shift and never really saw ss13 so even though i noticed it i solely relied on dh to relay the message. Now that im home dh has decided that me and ss need to talk more. simple things like pick you shoes up if your done rinse your plate nothing big big things are dh no question about it. This boy has some how got it in his mind that if im not "angry" he doens't have to listen. i.e don't eat this its for the baby. we go to the grocery store he has cooked it and eaten it i say whyd you eat that i told you not to. "oh i thought you were joking". I NEVER JOKE. im not that person that jokes and hopes someone can tell the difference im dead serious about my answers. can i have this "yes" or "no". Im so irritated there is a lot more that has been going on with the same basic principle. towels. put them in the laundry basket what does he do stashes them in his room he doens't want us going through his room when i say us i mean dh then he shouldn't hoard all the damn towels am i right or am i right. Im sure this is typical teenage behavior but OMG is there a trick to getting this boy to listen. dh "forgets" untill im angry with both of them. have tried that route. Sorry this is more of a rant than anything else thanks for your time
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
destiny83
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Both my kids do things like that. It's the age. Maybe look him dead in the eye and say "don't eat this bc it's for the baby- I'M SERIOUS, you understand right?" Then "ok good" and smile. 

With both of my tweens I have to break. down. every. freaking. statement I make to see it gets done.

shanlee42
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I agree with Destiny, breaking everything down will help. Sometimes teens need it spelled out very clearly for them. I used to make my teen SD repeat what I had said.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I think he sounds like a typical 13 year old. My nephew is 16 and my sister still has these complaints. She can't keep the fridge stocked. He eats everything in site. She had to start hiding her snacks and drinks so that he wouldn't eat them while she was working. They need a security guard on the pantry at all times lol welcome to life with a teenage boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Why is your husband punting this off onto you when you're supposed to be resting?  If Dad isn't taking things seriously, your fight with the kid is hopeless. 

pepper504
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Quoting momof2ex1:

I think he sounds like a typical 13 year old. My nephew is 16 and my sister still has these complaints. She can't keep the fridge stocked. He eats everything in site. She had to start hiding her snacks and drinks so that he wouldn't eat them while she was working. They need a security guard on the pantry at all times lol welcome to life with a teenage boy.

They do not grow out of it either.  I have to hide shit in my house due to DH and my office due to my boss.  For some reason, they KNOW it's mine, yet think that they can have it.  Aggravates the hell out of me.

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I could have wriiten that myself except for me it's mainly SD11 (SS9 on occasion). DH has been custodial for 5+ years and we have always co-parented when the kids are in our home except that he would handle the big stuff like you said. I have always been considered the "nice" parent because I am pretty laid back in my approach to getting the kids to do things or correcting them, I rarely yell or punish unless it's an severe situation or I happen to be in a terrible mood (rare). Anyway, for years I could not get those kids to do anything without raising my voice and sounding angry because that is what BM and DH had done when they were together. DH did calm down a bit when we married and was less harsh with the kids but still way more stern then I was. The kids "liked" me but did not listen to me or take me very serious. I think this past year was the first year that I have had *some* success calmly telling the kids to do things and they follow through. But they are still sneaky little buttheads and will do the wrong thing knowingly when were not looking. The towel thing is a big one for SD11, she will leave towels all over her room and then stuff them under the bathroom sink to hide them. They also sneak food/snacks that they are not supposed to heve, and although it is normal kid behavior, sneaking and willfully disobedient drives me nuts. I had to resort to just not dealing with it, I will sometimes casually correct them but with no expectation of them changing. If DH wants them to be more responsible he will have to enforce and follow through with it. Sadly, he is very forgetful and unconsistent with that type of thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I agree with the other moms, sounds like a typical teenager.  reverse the roles on him, take something he was saving or using.  For my kids, it is their sports drinks.  them: 'that was my sports drink"  me: "ohhh, I thought you were joking"  after a few times of reversing the roles...they get it.

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

What is a 13 year old interested in eating that is JUST for the baby?  That is odd that he even eats or drinks baby items.

DDDaysh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Cheerios???

Quoting GlockMom:

What is a 13 year old interested in eating that is JUST for the baby?  That is odd that he even eats or drinks baby items.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured