Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

sd hsv

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

I just  got test results back today and my step daughter (5) tested positive for herpes simplex , I dont even know what to do Shes only been with us for 5 months before this she was from house to house. I am heated right now because for one I dont know where it came from and for two the kids share toys and put their mouths on the same toys, cups, spoons, etc! this is more of a vent than anything, i know that the talk with her mother is going to have to come out and will tomorrow with me if my husband doesnt do it!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

what type and are there any sores?  if there are, where are they?

kmur
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

oh wow, sorry to hear that...i know easier said then done but....try and stay calm during the talk ....GOOD LUCK

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going to assume until you correct me that you are speaking of oral herpes? If it makes you feel better I knew a few people as a kid that had it ( one from infancy when some nincumpoop kissed her with a cold sore). And they were the only ones in the family that had it. I reccomend doing some research and asking calm and pertinent questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I am going to go get the documented paperwork tomorrow but I believe when they first took the blood work they tested her for hsv 1 because of a sore underneath her lip however i am going to get her checked for genital herpes as well because there have been times that she would go raw down there without a change of normal routine so I just want to know whats going on especially since its under my roof and could potentially affect the rest of the family. Im particularly disgusted by finding this out and I know that i will never know the truth behind it

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this
You need to do your research. Millions upon millions of people including me have herpes simplex, or fever blisters or cold sores. Transmission is skin to skin contact during the 2-21 day period the virus is active. Your kids are likely not going to get herpes simplex from a toy that is shared with your SD or else children would be banned from school for weeks upon weeks while they have fever blisters. It is not a death sentence. I have had fever blisters since before I can remember. My children have never had one. 12 years and I think that is good. We wash hands, we don't kiss on the mouth when I have a fever blister. We don't share straws or spoons when I have a fever blister. Do some research. Simplex does not make one nasty or should you be oh so terrified by it. It's not something to be pissed off about. It's a damn fever blister. Buy her some ointment and help her to be comfortable while she has a lesion because they hurt like hell. Be mindful to not force her to eat salty foods while she has a fever blister. And remind her not to kiss on the lips while one is active. Don't share drinks. I don't know why a 5 year old is slobbering on toys that she shares with her siblings. Teach her not to put things in her mouth. She shouldn't be sharing spoons with anyone anyway. This is all very elementary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I will let her father talk to her mother about it but I was just doing research on it and finding out that there is nothing we can do to get rid of it! Thats wrong on so many levels, I was told by the dr that it could be something as simple as her placing her mouth on a buggy however ive never seen her do it, I have the kids every other tiime outside of them being in school, and the virus cant last outside of the carrier its transmitted through contaminated saliva, I am starting to seriously wonder because there have been past incidents where i inappropriate behavior for a child has been shown to me

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this
You do need to find out exactly which form she has. If she had a sore in her month she likely does not have genitall herpes. I can tell you right now, if an SM checked MY daughter's genital area she better be prepared for CPS at her door. I would think twice before 'checking' anything without a doctor in the room. If they did a blood test and found genital herpes, likely CPS has already been contacted.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am going to go get the documented paperwork tomorrow but I believe when they first took the blood work they tested her for hsv 1 because of a sore underneath her lip however i am going to get her checked for genital herpes as well because there have been times that she would go raw down there without a change of normal routine so I just want to know whats going on especially since its under my roof and could potentially affect the rest of the family. Im particularly disgusted by finding this out and I know that i will never know the truth behind it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

If you would have read my last post you would have saw where i speak about lesions in her private area in the past that have reoccurred as well, so its not that its just the hsv that disgust me its that i cant get to the root of what it is and because of the fact that it can be transmitted, we for one dont kiss our children on the lips in our house so that ones out the window

LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
If it is just oral and involves cold sores, that is pretty common. I would just use this to encourage good oral hygiene and enforce the no drinking after each other rule. Keep some Lysol wipes handy as little kids always are putting things in their mouths. Encourage hand washing for everyone. The kids all learn good hygiene, without singling SD out, and u can rest a little easier knowing it won't spread throughout the family.

I do know how u feel. My sd10 kept getting horrible sores in her mouth. Bm took her to the doctor. The doctor said it was because she kept biting the inside of her mouth. The girl constantly bites the inside of her mouth to make it worse. Then will refuse to eat becaud it hurts. This has been an ongoing issue which made me wonder could it be more than just her self mutilating. We always tell her not to drink anyone's drink or let the boys eat after her etc. I walk in one day and she is chugging dh's coke. I asked her why she did that. She replied because she was thirsty and that she always drinks everyone's drinks when we aren't paying attention. Dh gets a sore in his mouth. A week later ds4 has one. So now I feel he needs to go to the doctor just to ease my mind.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Are you fucking kidding me? I have fever blisters and never ever once was I molested as a child. It is from kissing or saliva contact to the mouth. Do more research!! It is not from a penis being stuck in your mouth! In your research you will find that you cannot get genital herpes in your mouth. You get simplex in your mouth. That has nothing to do with genitals!! I am offended by your ignorance.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will let her father talk to her mother about it but I was just doing research on it and finding out that there is nothing we can do to get rid of it! Thats wrong on so many levels, I was told by the dr that it could be something as simple as her placing her mouth on a buggy however ive never seen her do it, I have the kids every other tiime outside of them being in school, and the virus cant last outside of the carrier its transmitted through contaminated saliva, I am starting to seriously wonder because there have been past incidents where i inappropriate behavior for a child has been shown to me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)