Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

sd bday gift needs opinions

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
SD is turning 13 next month. There is a pitbull kesha concert that she would absolutely love to go to. We live 6 hours away from SD the concert is halfway between bm and our city. DH is deployed so he cant take her so it'd be up to bm. My question ...

Would you buy tickets for just SD and a friend and let bm get her own or would you also get one for bm? What's appropriate in this scenario. Also I would be willing to take SD but I don't want to step on toes cause this is one of those first that I'm sure bm would love to have with SD.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
CodeBlue
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Just to be clear, Pitbull and Kesha -- two artists.  Not gonna lie, they are not what I listen to regularly (I listen to GOOD music), but their music is super easy to dance too.  And if it was only three hours away? Shrek yes I'd go. 

OP, talk to BM.  If you only buy two tickets, one of those should probably be for her. Maybe she would be willing to buy a ticket for a friend. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting MommySabs:

The polite thing to do when gifting tickets is to buy two. Also you should contact bm and make sure she is allowed to go if you get her tickets. My 13 yo wouldn't be going to see a pitbull Kesha concert, I don't care who bought the tickets. They are embarrassments to the human race.

I have no idea who that even is, but I wouldn't drive 3 hours to take my 13yo to a concert. 

If you bought one for her and her friend, do you think BM is going to appreciate driving her 3 hours AND buying her own ticket?

These tickets would be returned to you with a thanks but no thanks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

I know bm would go go to the concert because she thinks she is still 18 and often goes out with her teenage sisters and drives to this city quite frequently. But I will definitely ask her first just to be sure its okay and the dates work for her. Plan B- I may just get tickets for a concert with a later date when dh is stateside and can take her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:03 AM
She would love one direction tickets but they are way overpriced. They are running 2-300 while the kesha tickets are 50-75.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Sd"s big thing is those boys....one direction.

I dont do concerts. She was begging to go see them, but im not up for being among a bunch of teenyboppers screaming

Quoting pdxmum:

Yah, because there is no way I am driving 3 hours for a Keisha concert.  One way.

DD18 saw gaga in January.  She got up at like 4:00am to get in costume (she made the meat dress), take a bus from Seattle to Tacoma, get in line to get a number to come back later for admission to the Little Monster pit by the stage.  She was 10' from gaga on the floor.  She thought it was worth it.  No way I would have done it for her.  I'm not that nice a mom!  I wish I could figure out how to post a picture...

Tigress22304:

Yerp bm"s sister learned this lesson the hard way

Quoting pdxmum:

Because if anyone bought tickets for my 13 year old for a concert 3 hours away from me and I had to deal with the fallout when she couldnt go, I would be pissed.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Personally I"d ask BM, and ask her opinion

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

She would love one direction tickets but they are way overpriced. They are running 2-300 while the kesha tickets are 50-75.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Sd"s big thing is those boys....one direction.

I dont do concerts. She was begging to go see them, but im not up for being among a bunch of teenyboppers screaming

Quoting pdxmum:

Yah, because there is no way I am driving 3 hours for a Keisha concert.  One way.

DD18 saw gaga in January.  She got up at like 4:00am to get in costume (she made the meat dress), take a bus from Seattle to Tacoma, get in line to get a number to come back later for admission to the Little Monster pit by the stage.  She was 10' from gaga on the floor.  She thought it was worth it.  No way I would have done it for her.  I'm not that nice a mom!  I wish I could figure out how to post a picture...

Tigress22304:

Yerp bm"s sister learned this lesson the hard way

Quoting pdxmum:

Because if anyone bought tickets for my 13 year old for a concert 3 hours away from me and I had to deal with the fallout when she couldnt go, I would be pissed.

Quoting Tigress22304:

I'm in the Philly area-so all the tickets are overpriced here!!

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

hmmm.

My parents were always cool with concerts. I went to my first concert when I was eight. On my fourteenth birthday my friend’s mom took me four hours away to see my favorite band. When I was sixteen, I drove ten hours to see the same band. I also took my twelve year old sister to see the Jonas Brothers a few years ago; that one was about three hours away.

I still think you should ask BM first. Even though I don’t think the distance would bother me, I’d still have a lot of questions.

❝ I found it is the small everyday
deeds of ordinary folk that keep
the darkness at bay. Small acts
of kindness and love. ❞

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

13.. Omg yes ask BM!      We let SD 17 go to a concert a couple months ago with a friend and a parent and we were still not at ease.     BM may have plans, or not even think she is old enough to go.

I would say personally say no. 

Quoting pdxmum:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would let 13YOs go to a concert like that without a parent and if you don't buy the tickets together at the same time, I don't think they'd be able to sit together.

Further...while that might be really fun for SD if BM approves, don't you think it might be nice for DH to do something like that with SD?  I would maybe be looking for something that would be happening when DH is home.  

packermomof2
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd not let my 13 year old go to a Pitbull or Kesha concert... I'd ask mom first if she is okay with her kid listening to that crap.

DDDaysh
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM

you'll be darn lucky if BM agrees to transport the child that far for a concert for someone else's gift... 

Yes, if you intend to give this as a gift, buying a ticket for BM is an absolute must. 

Bertieb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I think BM should make the decision whether she is even allowed to go to the concert and who should take her. Personally I think it is too mature for a 13 year old and if I were BM I would say not at this age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)