Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child abandonment? Parental rights terminated?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

BM got kids taken away and is only allowed supervised visitation at a CPS center. 

Had steps to get kids back.

Has never made one appointment to see kid, never compleated any steps to get kids back.

No contact (Including phone calls) in 2 years.

Ordered to pay CS last year, Never paid...

Was spoused to get tax return, Its after tax time and still nothing...

What chances are there of getting parental rights terminated?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Who has the children right now? 

Can BM be served paperwork for the termination? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Me and DH have had kids sence the day they were taken away over 3 years ago... She has not even called

Godlymom87
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
If you are willing to adopt them it may be possible. Some states will not terminate a parents rights for anything other than abuse unless there a person willing to take on the other parents rights.
DDDaysh
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

And the second question - will you be able to serve her papers? 

I ask because I think the chances of terminating her rights, if you're able to actually serve her papers, are quite high. 

However, many judges are reluctant to allow for alternate service methods with a parental rights termination.  It's still not impossible, but not being able to serve her would greatly reduce your chances of getting the termination. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Me and DH have had kids sence the day they were taken away over 3 years ago... She has not even called

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I would adopt, Thats what we all want

Godlymom87
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I don't know what state she's in but here it's actually easier if they can't be found to a certain degree. If a judge sees that the parent is in no contact can't be found incase of emergencies then the judge will allow the adoption and terminate her rights.

Quoting DDDaysh:

And the second question - will you be able to serve her papers? 

I ask because I think the chances of terminating her rights, if you're able to actually serve her papers, are quite high. 

However, many judges are reluctant to allow for alternate service methods with a parental rights termination.  It's still not impossible, but not being able to serve her would greatly reduce your chances of getting the termination. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

We dont know where she is, She moves around alot and the last court paper for CS was returned beacause of the wrong adress. In florida

AMBG825
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This is how BM's rights were terminated. Very similar situation. BM had the boys taken from her due to child abuse charges. She had very specific steps to take in order to be considered for custody again and, to this day, has done none of them. She has not paid any CS in 12 years. She hasn't called or made an attempt to visit in 5 years.

YSS asked if I would adopt him. I agreed and DH and I filed for BM's rights to be involuntarily terminated based on those grounds. The motion was granted and YSS is now my OS.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I don't know what the law is. I'm sure you do. Does she meet the criteria for termination? I'm sure there are pre-set criteria.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM

How did you file? we really want to take this step early next year. Did you get a lawyer?

Quoting AMBG825:

This is how BM's rights were terminated. Very similar situation. BM had the boys taken from her due to child abuse charges. She had very specific steps to take in order to be considered for custody again and, to this day, has done none of them. She has not paid any CS in 12 years. She hasn't called or made an attempt to visit in 5 years.

YSS asked if I would adopt him. I agreed and DH and I filed for BM's rights to be involuntarily terminated based on those grounds. The motion was granted and YSS is now my OS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)