Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Who is mom? - BM, SM, or both?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

Assuming that the kids live with dad and SM, and BM is not invovled or minimal involved (less than 50 %). Who do you think is "mom"? Why? Why not?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoodIsLife
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Mom is the person who fills the role of a mommy

Any one can be a mother/father...it takes a parent to be a mom/dad

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Mom is always mom. On a birth certificate it says mother and father. The name only changes when an adoption takes place. Even when a parents lose their rights or a child becomes an adult, the mother and father or mom and dad which is an abbreviation for the two, is still the biological mom and dad.

A stepparent is always the stepparent unless they legally adopt the child and their name is put on the birth certificate as the mom or dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinklebites
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

HMMM BF is minimally involved should I run out and replace him?   Why do you need a title?

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

SS was taken from BM going on 2 years ago.  He went through a year and a half where he saw her less than 10 hours total.  This year she averages 45 mins to an hour a week.  She cancelled on him the last 3 weeks because she was pouting and trying to prove a point.

She's still Mom.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM
BM is mom. It doesn't matter that she's only involved 4 days/month. Her level of involvement doesn't change the definition of who she is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this
Mom is mom. We have custody of ss and bm absolutely sucks. But she's still ss's mom.

And just because I'm the one doing the daily stuff doesn't make me mom. he does say he has 2 moms... He knows the difference between me and bm though!
packermomof2
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Mom is mom. SM is SM. My ex sucks> He is still dad. He has seen the kids 0% of the time in the last 2 months. Still dad. I think if SM's learned to accept that they decided to be a SM and stop trying to make it to be more than something it isn't life would be easier to deal with.
Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

CSM here. BM is still mom. I don't pretend or act otherwise.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

if the kids go live with their grandmother, does she become mom?

No.

Mom remains mom. Dad's wife is the SM. If Dad's wife, the SM, provides a significant amount of child carea and forms a strong bond with her stepkids, then kudos to her. She is a wonderful SM. And that's a great thing to be.

but she is still the stepmom. Not the mom.

minimoo
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
What???? You have custody of bm??? Hth does that work???? ;-)

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Mom is mom. We have custody of bm and she absolutely sucks. But she's still ss's mom.

And just because I'm the one doing the daily stuff doesn't make me mom. he does say he has 2 moms... He knows the difference between me and bm though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN