Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

New job.. raise... no increase?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 21 Replies

So DH has been laid off since Dec. and working with his brother per diem until about a month ago when we moved 3 hours away. We moved because we just weren't making it. I couldn't find another job, DH wasn't making much with his brother. He was offered two jobs here, but once we got here they fell through. So he's about 2 months behind on his CS now. 

Anyways, we both have jobs now. As of this week actually. (whew!!) So he called up FOC and reported his job. We looked on the website and they haven't changed his monthy amout even though he's working more hours and a higher rate of pay. Will they change it later? Do they have to go to court to change it or can they just up it. right now its at $199.50 a month. Which isn't a lot, but he didn't make much money. And now BM is also working for minimum wage very part time. Does that have an effect? 

What should we be expecting from here?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They would have to do a new modification and get current info from BM also.  So unless someone does that it won't increase or decrease.  They can't just change it without it going in front of a judge.

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It's changed before. When he was first ordered it was $117 a month then went up to $179 a month. But idk what any of that was based on. I was before we were married. He said he doesn't even remember going to court over child support. Or even having a court date. Is is possible there was a date and he missed it?

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

They would have to do a new modification and get current info from BM also.  So unless someone does that it won't increase or decrease.  They can't just change it without it going in front of a judge.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Yes he would have missed a court date. If he calls he should be able to get copies of everything that has happened on his case.  I used to work for my counties court as a clerk.  They can't get anything passed without a judges okay.   

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

It's changed before. When he was first ordered it was $117 a month then went up to $179 a month. But idk what any of that was based on. I was before we were married. He said he doesn't even remember going to court over child support. Or even having a court date. Is is possible there was a date and he missed it?

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Do you think that now that he has reported a high earning they will take it to a judge to raise it? BM can not review it herself because she is on public assistance, so it is fully in the hands of the state. 

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Yes he would have missed a court date. If he calls he should be able to get copies of everything that has happened on his case.  I used to work for my counties court as a clerk.  They can't get anything passed without a judges okay.   

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

BM in my situation is on assistance also and the state does a review every 3 years.  When was the last time it changed?  

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Do you think that now that he has reported a high earning they will take it to a judge to raise it? BM can not review it herself because she is on public assistance, so it is fully in the hands of the state. 

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

lnr187
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

bm income has an impact on dad's child support. but im pretty sure bm would have to request a modification

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

You don't necessarily go to court for a modification to CS based on change of income.  In our state you don't.  You file the paperwork and they do a review with a judge advocate type person.  (i forget what they call it)  But you don't even have to be there in person, just on the phone.

Anyway, many states will automatically review every 3 years and you can apply to have it reviewed sooner but they don't always have to grant that.  If the change in support would be less than X percent per month or Y dollars (varies by state) then they won't bother in some states.

Both BM and BF's income would factor in as would the number of overnights.  Most states have a calculator online to help you sort out if there would be signicant change due to the change in circumstance with employment.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM
That may not be true.

In bms state the cs office took Js paystubs and calcd the amount, and sent bm and j each a paper stating the amount. Either party had 30 days to request a hearing. This happened when he went into the army, and again when he got out of the army and started at his current job.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Does your state require both incomes?  Here they do and if they are going to do a change there is worksheet that goes to both in regards to income, insurance and daycare ( daycare is silly since she is 14 now LOL)   They figure the worksheet and send it to both BF and BM with a court date.  If they don't show it is just set as it states in the worksheet if they go they can argue their point.   And we do that every 3 years because of her being on assistance.  I really didn't know you could be on assistance for 14 yrs and counting but I guess you can.

Quoting luckystars2012:

That may not be true.

In bms state the cs office took Js paystubs and calcd the amount, and sent bm and j each a paper stating the amount. Either party had 30 days to request a hearing. This happened when he went into the army, and again when he got out of the army and started at his current job.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM
No in bms state it was a flat percentage of jsincome because bm is a lazy welfare bitch and hasn't had a job in almost ten years.

It got modified every three years but also when j changed jobs.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Does your state require both incomes?  Here they do and if they are going to do a change there is worksheet that goes to both in regards to income, insurance and daycare ( daycare is silly since she is 14 now LOL)   They figure the worksheet and send it to both BF and BM with a court date.  If they don't show it is just set as it states in the worksheet if they go they can argue their point.   And we do that every 3 years because of her being on assistance.  I really didn't know you could be on assistance for 14 yrs and counting but I guess you can.

Quoting luckystars2012:

That may not be true.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)