Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Children Home Alone

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 33 Replies

My husband has been tossing around the idea of the kids staying home alone this summer.  OSS is 11 and YSS is 8.  I am not comfortable with this what do you think? This is the situation:  We live in the county, we have a pond (they LOVE to fish) they are ok swimmers but not the best in case they were to fall in.  We have two dogs one is a Collie and VERY protective the other one is protective as well, but the Collie is a "get in your face and back you up" kind of protective (herding instincts).  We both work out of town he works 30 min out I work 15 min out.  Their grandparents live in town it would take them 2 - 5 minutes to get to our house.  1 - 2 if an emergency.  

I suggested that he let them sleep in and when they get up call grandparents to come get them or tell grandparents they are awake. 

DH wants them to start doing yard work that is why he is tossing around the boys staying at home during the summer.  They could call grandpa and he could "oversee" them working in the yard.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
No. I had to put the kibosh on that last summer when ss were 11 and 9. We came home to a mess daily and they called dad all day fighting.
Motherof3inNJ
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

No, I'd never leave my 11 and 8 year old children alone for the whole summer. Watching an 8 year old is too much responsibility for the 11 year old if it is more than an hour or two, and even that I'd be worried, especially if they fight often, or are careless... I'd also be worried with the pond if they can't swim well enough to save each other.

kimkrys1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

OOOOKKKKKKK................ I didnt think about extra messes!! Thanks!

Quoting faerie75:

No. I had to put the kibosh on that last summer when ss were 11 and 9. We came home to a mess daily and they called dad all day fighting.

kimkrys1
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  Those are very valid reasons to tell DH why they shouldnt stay home.

Quoting Motherof3inNJ:

No, I'd never leave my 11 and 8 year old children alone for the whole summer. Watching an 8 year old is too much responsibility for the 11 year old if it is more than an hour or two, and even that I'd be worried, especially if they fight often, or are careless... I'd also be worried with the pond if they can't swim well enough to save each other.

weaveress
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

my kids don't stay home but for about 15 mins by themselves. they are 12 and 9. i would never go to work with them at home by themselves. what if the house catches on fire while they are sleeping in? yeah ours did that while we were sleeping. i would have grandpa come over when you leave for work. 

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

no.

Kayjace0411
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
If it was just an hour or less maybe but the whole day is a no go I say they aren't old enough. There is actually state laws based off how old a child can be to babysit or be left alone I put a link so you can look at it http://www.imom.com/parenting/tikes/parenting/safety/home-alone-rules-by-state/
OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

No.  Kids that age need something to keep them busy, even though there is plenty at your house they need some structure and activities and other kids.  Even just hanging out with GPs all day isn't a great idea.  I would at least have them in a part time camp.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

11 and 8 are too young to spend the day alone. I've left SD 12 and DS 10 alone for an hour while I took DD to therapy, but even then I was incredibly nervous and anxious to get home. We live in an apartment complex and are very close with several neighbors, and we have a dog that's quite protective. No one would get into the house without 1. the dog cornering them, and 2. at least one neighbor noticing.

I could never let them stay home all day. 

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Some kids might be fine at that age but not all.  I was home alone in the summer with my younger brothers when I was that age.  I have to tell you, it sucked.  It felt like WAY too much responsibility all day, every day.

I was 11, middle brother was 9 and youngest was 4 when it all began.  Until my youngest brother was 6, he went to a daycare though.

We too were out in the country and we had some rather close calls from an accident/medical standpoint.

I personally would not leave my (imaginary) kids home at those ages.  I'd at least find a teen to come spend the day.

We did not have my SD's stay home alone during the day in the summer until they'd completed the Red Cross babysitter and first aid course through the local hospital.  Even then, they had relatives just houses away in case of emergency. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN