Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I know I shouldn't laugh but ...

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

We’re almost moved in! I just have to put my books away and grab the last box of miscellaneous stuff from the apartment. However, I’m taking a quick break to post about what happened earlier today.

We’ve been doing pickups/drop-offs at SS’s ball practices, but today his practice was cancelled. DH texted BM to let her know we’d be at the new house. We knew she’d want to look/peek/snoop around. We decided that this time if she wanted to look, we’d let her look.

The second she stepped inside she started peeking. She actually opened the coat closet before we could even say hello. SS was all ready to go and matter-of-factly told her his room was upstairs. BM took that and ran with it. She immediately said, “How about you show me your room.” She ran upstairs while SS was still trying to put his stuff down. The staircase is open and overlooks the living room (it’s life a loft, but with two bedrooms and a bathroom). We could hear everything BM said. First she told SS - “Show me the whole house. Just tell your dad you want to take me on a tour.” Then, we could hear all of her comments about each room – “Wow. That’s a nice bathroom.” “You have an extra play room!” “I can’t believe they can afford this?”

She came downstairs and started poking through the rest of the rooms – master bedroom/bathroom, laundry room, guest bathroom, kitchen and dining room. SS then got excited and told her about our awesome, secret room and showed her our enclosed sun room. She was PISSED by the time her ‘tour’ was over. She made a comment about how she didn’t like the girlie wall colors in SS’s room and when SS told her we were going to pain and decorate, she got really huffy and rushed SS out of the door.

I know I shouldn’t laugh, but DH and I thought it was comical.

I know. I know. It’s petty to get so much enjoyment out of this, but BM has tried to turn EVERYTHING into a competition. Even when DH and I are focused on doing our own thing, she’s constantly trying to outdo us. Sometimes it’s subtle. Sometimes it’s over the top. Like I said, I know it’s petty – but part of me still wants to chuckle.

❝ I found it is the small everyday
deeds of ordinary folk that keep
the darkness at bay. Small acts
of kindness and love. ❞

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Take it where you can.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow, you are patient letting her look around.  But good for you.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this

It wasn’t an easy decision, but we knew she’d look anyways.

We decided we could either throw a fit and feel pissy and violated, or just shrug it off. I hate to brag, but the house is amazing and very impressive (20 foot  cathedral vaulted ceilings!). We knew if we shrugged it off and let BM look, she would be the one that ended up pissy and annoyed.

Quoting pdxmum:

Wow, you are patient letting her look around.  But good for you.

of kindness and love. ❞

MommySabs
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Sometimes all you can do is laugh. :).
Bm insisted in a tour of our house when we moved in. We obliged - the only time she has been allowed to enter out home. I think about half way through she realized she had sounded and looked crazy bc she become noticeably uncomfortable and bolted out the door as fast as she could.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I think she’s been trying really hard to convince SS that moving is not exciting. When we were house hunting he was so excited, but soon after he became really grumpy and negative about moving. Every time we’d pick him up from BM, he’d say things like – “Mommy told me moving is a lot of hard work.” “Mommy said that I’ll be all alone if my room is upstairs.”

We anticipated that the first few nights would be rough, but SS has been excited all week. The house is super dark at night and he’s all alone upstairs, but he went straight to sleep and slept all night. When DH mentioned that SS adjusted quickly and didn’t have any problems is when she started getting antsy. Hearing SS go on about ‘secret’ rooms and designing his own room, seemed to be the boiling point.

I’m sure it can get irritating to hear about how cool the other house is, but some of the oneupmanship has been ridiculous!

Quoting MommySabs:

Sometimes all you can do is laugh. :).
Bm insisted in a tour of our house when we moved in. We obliged - the only time she has been allowed to enter out home. I think about half way through she realized she had sounded and looked crazy bc she become noticeably uncomfortable and bolted out the door as fast as she could.

of kindness and love. ❞

lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Congrats on the house. I am now googling cathedral ceilings ! :-)
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Actually, I'm wrong about the ceilings. They are vaulted.

I also googled to see what pictures popped up. I found this article instead. You learn something everyday!

http://askville.amazon.com/difference-vaulted-cathedral-ceiling/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7390518

Quoting lovemyfriend:

Congrats on the house. I am now googling cathedral ceilings ! :-)

of kindness and love. ❞

Seychelles1409
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM
3 moms liked this

So funny!  "The best revenge is living well."

kmur
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

congrats on your home and your laugh ;)

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed!

I don’t really consider myself vengeful, but after all the competition and all the times she’d tried to be better than us I couldn’t help but think, “beat this one BM!”

Quoting Seychelles1409:

So funny!  "The best revenge is living well."

of kindness and love. ❞

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN