Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I love her and I want to keep her safe

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
Sd 8 has aspergers/PPD-NOS I found a company that will make/pay for medical ID bracelets and temp tattoos. I was telling my mom about it and she said I don't think BM will be too happy about those. My mom thinks BM will wash them right off Sd. I really hope not! SD is verbal and she's capable of telling people her info but in a situation were she gets lost and is scared I'm worried she wouldn't tell anyone. I want the tattoos for her moms because she is here most of the time but she looses things at her moms too much this isn't a stuffed animal this is as important as a drivers Licence so she has to have something that would be extremely hard to loose. I told dh about them and he said I honestly don't care what she thinks its about safety and I'm all for keeping her safe. He wants it to say her name and his number. He said he sill flat out tell bm about them and ask that the tat not be removed unless it comes off on its own then she should put another one on like it's a medication. I agree but I don't know if bm don't like it she will wash it off.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM

How does she have Aspergers/PDD-NOS, those are two seperate types of Autism. She can't be diagnosed with both, it's impossible.

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM
My son has Asperger's. If SM bought those for him, I would be furious. This is not - NOT- your place.

If you must meddle, print the info out and let his mother decide what to do with it.

The tirade I'd like to go on right now is long and loud. You have no clue how offensive you would be if you did this.
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Not true. Some kids have a psychological diagnosis of Asperger's, but a medical diagnosis of PDD-NOS.

Quoting Anonymous:

How does she have Aspergers/PDD-NOS, those are two seperate types of Autism. She can't be diagnosed with both, it's impossible.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

A diagnosis of PDD-NOS indicates that the individual has many of the signs of autism while not meeting the criteria of Retts, childhood disintegrative disorder, classical autism, or Aspergers. The symptoms are pronounced enough to interfere with the person's ability to function normally on a daily basis.

As well, communcation and cognitive functioning are different for both.

Getting the diagnosis of one means you do not qualify for a diagnosis of the other. 

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Not true. Some kids have a psychological diagnosis of Asperger's, but a medical diagnosis of PDD-NOS.

Quoting Anonymous:

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM
True...and yet many children still have both. Some children have diagnoses from three or four different professionals (school, psychologist, neurologist, developmental ped) and each reads the criteria in his own way. So some feel the child meets the criteria of Asperger's while others do not. Many medical professionals will not use 'Asperger's', preferring the more broad PDD-NOS. This is where parents get the impression that it is all one diagnosis. I've also had students' parents tell me that they got 'good news' - it isn't autism, it's PDD-NOS!

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

A diagnosis of PDD-NOS indicates that the individual has many of the signs of autism while not meeting the criteria of Retts, childhood disintegrative disorder, classical autism, or Aspergers. The symptoms are pronounced enough to interfere with the person's ability to function normally on a daily basis.

Getting the diagnosis of one means you do not qualify for a diagnosis of the other. 

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Quoting Anonymous:

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

You cannot have a diagnosis of both when the diagnostic criteria for each requires that you NOT be qualified for a diagnosis of the other. Each diagnosis directly contradicts the other. 

Besides, starting this month the new DSM-V is going to be used and both Aspergers and PDD-NOS no longer exist as a diagnosis, it's varying degrees of ASD. 

Quoting HopesNDreams:

True...and yet many children still have both. Some children have diagnoses from three or four different professionals (school, psychologist, neurologist, developmental ped) and each reads the criteria in his own way. So some feel the child meets the criteria of Asperger's while others do not. Many medical professionals will not use 'Asperger's', preferring the more broad PDD-NOS. This is where parents get the impression that it is all one diagnosis. I've also had students' parents tell me that they got 'good news' - it isn't autism, it's PDD-NOS!

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM
My son has asperger's & if the Ex's gf/wife did this to him I'd be pissed! It's not YOUR place to do these this . SHE is this child's mother it should be up to HER !!!!!
JacyB
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not an allergy or medical condition that could be life threatening (such as diabetes) that would require the person helping her to know about should she get lost.

You are WAY out of line here on so many levels. It's messed up to literally label a child at all times. I'm pretty horrified that you so much as considered this. Why don't you leave the parenting to the parents ?
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM

DD6 takes medication daily and has special needs. I've often thought about doing a medical bracelet for her in the event that she wanders off or we're in a car accident and I'm unable to answer questions. But, she also has SEVERE anxiety and refuses to speak to other people (especially adults she doesn't know).

I'm actually getting her dog tags with her medical information on it, LOL

But, I agree, if some other woman thought she had the ability/right to do that for MY child, I'd be LIVID! 

Quoting JacyB:

It's not an allergy or medical condition that could be life threatening (such as diabetes) that would require the person helping her to know about should she get lost.

You are WAY out of line here on so many levels. It's messed up to literally label a child at all times. I'm pretty horrified that you so much as considered this. Why don't you leave the parenting to the parents ?

aeELE
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience with these matters and I'm not looking to "poke the bear," per sei, but rather am legitimately curious:

What if BD, not SM, bought those for him? Or if she printed the info out but instead of letting BM decide, as you suggest, let BD decide? Thoughts? 

I am asking because this line of thought has been on mind since I read an article in the am (posted on this forum) that I felt was, among other things, dismissive of BDs and their role. 

Quoting HopesNDreams:

My son has Asperger's. If SM bought those for him, I would be furious. This is not - NOT- your place.

If you must meddle, print the info out and let his mother decide what to do with it.

The tirade I'd like to go on right now is long and loud. You have no clue how offensive you would be if you did this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)