Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What In the Blood Blue Blazes is

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom of a home?  Or mom of the house? 

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
American Statesman
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Replies (71-77):
packermomof2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting bottomline:

The term, "Lady of the house", "Mom of the house" has been around for decades. It means different things to different generations, obviously. It wasn't meant to bruise egos but to recognize primary care givers.  It may be out dated and/or it may not work for every house hold but it's been around for ever. Even before divorce and blended families *gasp*!

I get "woman of the house' or lady... not mom.  I've never heard that before this board.  I realize that doesn't mean there aren't some people who changed "lady" or "woman" to "mom" to appease their sense of self importance, but it really isn't that popular in real life.

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
American Statesman
bottomline
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It is used a lot in real life actually. "Real life" is what I was referring to, not little house on the prairie or Survivor! LOL Maybe not by the posters on this string but they don't represent the majority of the population. 

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting bottomline:

The term, "Lady of the house", "Mom of the house" has been around for decades. It means different things to different generations, obviously. It wasn't meant to bruise egos but to recognize primary care givers.  It may be out dated and/or it may not work for every house hold but it's been around for ever. Even before divorce and blended families *gasp*!

I get "woman of the house' or lady... not mom.  I've never heard that before this board.  I realize that doesn't mean there aren't some people who changed "lady" or "woman" to "mom" to appease their sense of self importance, but it really isn't that popular in real life.

pepper504
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

*snort, you went all old school. 

I love me an "anon" with make believe balls though. 

Quoting sandeeyo:

Alice from the Brady Bunch did all that, they didn't call her mom. She dated Sam the butcher...he wasn't called stepdad.

Quoting Anonymous:

The mom in the home takes care of the kids, the cooking the cleaning, the kissing the boo boos. Doesn't seem that hard to get. If you have a mothering nature, then you are just Mom when kids come around.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on May. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
VAlley girl from Cali. Like duh! Lol.

Thanks for letting me know:-)

Quoting kristinbugg:

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Isn't that a song? Lose my religion? :)

Quoting kristinbugg:

It's just a term that SMs attempt to use to make themselves feel important and in control.

Terms like this just about make me lose my religion!

It is....but you must not be from the south...lol.

When someone says "lose my religion", that's a polite way of saying that one is about to lose their minds or is about to go the f-ck off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jules2boys
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I did too! But, I couldn't have called MTV.. it didn't begin until I was 17/18 and they ONLY showed music videos then, not the crap they have on there now.  ;) 

If Anonymous's description is correct, I've been a 'mom in the home' since I was a pre-teen.  The first kids I babysat were 1 and 3 and they DID call me mom!  I loved it, but hey, I was 11/12 at the time.  ;)  I was 'mom', their mom was 'mama'. 

Quoting AmericanDream:

Interesting.. I used to babysit the kids across the street almost every weekend, in middle/HS... I did all those things....

So... in essence... I was a Teen Mom??

Holy crap.  Should have calle MTV.

Quoting Anonymous:

The mom in the home takes care of the kids, the cooking the cleaning, the kissing the boo boos. Doesn't seem that hard to get. If you have a mothering nature, then you are just Mom when kids come around.

packermomof2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting bottomline:

It is used a lot in real life actually. "Real life" is what I was referring to, not little house on the prairie or Survivor! LOL Maybe not by the posters on this string but they don't represent the majority of the population.

I meant this board isn't real life.

In my 33 years I've never heard it until some self important women on this board (not to be confused with real life) said it.  I've not lived in only one place, I've lived in quite a few places and no one with a lick of sense says this.

Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

Ben Franklin
American Statesman
bottomline
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

You crack me up. According to you everyone must either agree with you or be a complete idiot! ROFLMAO! You are ridiculous. You say a "self important woman on this board" brought this idea up, like you don't act the same way. It doesn't matter how many places you have lived either, my God! I needed a good laugh this am though, so thanks for that.

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting bottomline:

I meant this board isn't real life.

In my 33 years I've never heard it until some self important women on this board (not to be confused with real life) said it.  I've not lived in only one place, I've lived in quite a few places and no one with a lick of sense says this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)