Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does a 13 year old need a SAHM? *Sorry for the rant*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand SAHM's when children are younger, IE not in school or just starting school, but at 13 most children can be left at home for periods of time and spend the majority of the day at school as it is.  So why does a 13 year old need a SAHM?  What is the benefit?  Especially when the mom can't seem to get the laundry done, groceries purchased, or dinner made...

I think it's been used as a cop out to avoid having to get up in the morning and be a responsible adult like everyone else.  It is ultimately an excuse to stay home, be lazy, watch tv, and get fat while someone else supports the child you should be working to mutually support.

Being a SAHM is for mothers that actually care and are attentive to their children's needs.  It's about the child, not the laziness of the mother. 

Sorry...rant over for now...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Replies (231-240):
bmommyx2
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:07 AM

You sound awfully judgy.  Maybe she feels better being there for her kids.  13 is a tough age, teenage years are hard & maybe she wants to be there.  Lots of kids go through hard time emotionally, there is sex, drugs & suicide to be concerned with.

ginag1022
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Actually your not with your kids 24/7 so they can get knocked up regardless if you are a sahm or not! No one is jealous of you. Get off your high horse miss lazy
Tinazimm2boys
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I personally do not see anything wrong with sahm`s if there is a reason other than your too damn lazy to work. I am a 47 yr old single mom with 13 yr old twin boys (1 with aspergers) I work...alot i might add  I dont have a great job but i have 2 kids to support....Ths really is of no concern to you unless your the mother.

serenity223
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Your entitled to your opinion of course.  I do have a 13 year old- and three older adult children and am opting to go back to wrok full time this fall since he will be in 8th grade and I trust him and want to give him the added responsibility which will benefit both of us in the long run.  It is a PERSONAL decision on my part, knowing my child and my needs also.  Not all 13 yr olds are responsible and not all women choose this.  Your characterization of stay at home moms as lazy and "just having an excuse not to get up like responsible adults" seems a little harsh to say the least.  Let's not ever lump all people in one category because you may know a few moms who act this way.  Most SAHM's I know are very busy!!  TCOYADJO (take care of yourself and don't jusge others)!

Vjcg
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Being a SAHM is work....and sometimes much harder than the jobs we get paid for. 

4girlsmum
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
This.

Quoting whatIknownow:

why do you care if some mom stays home to take care of her family?

I've had 4 teenagers and they are a lot of work. I spend a total of 6.5 hours a week, just driving my 14yo to dance class and back. When I had mulitple kids living at home I could easily spend 15 hours a week, driving. And this is all within our town. Most of it was between the hours of 7:30 to 5:00 pm. Some of my kids needed a lot of oversight with homework. If someone can afford to stay home with a 13yo, I think it's a great idea. Kids get into all kinds of trouble in the afternoon, after school, in an empty house. 

KiraJenLove
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I think it depends on the maturity of the child. the brother of my daughter's BFF is 13 and supposedly must babysit the other two siblings. this boy is a candidate for juvy, seriously. He lies, he hits his sister all the time, he doesn't obey his parents, he has chased his sister and my daughter with a stick, he has absolutely no parental supervision or guidance, and he has turned into a little Hellion. both his parents work, but SOMEONE needs to stay home to guide this kid.
mommersx4
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

How are you connected to this woman? Sounds like BYOB to me.

sundress_queen
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Er? I dont get it? what are you ranting about?

I am a stay at home mom for now, and i am surely not lazy.  yes i do sit down and relaxe after i have cleaned the entire house made breakfast and lunch and put a load of laundry in.

Javamom00
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

simply because maybe the child can not be home alone due to trust, enviroment, cost of after school programs, etc.. need your facts on your post before posting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured