Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Why does a 13 year old need a SAHM? *Sorry for the rant*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand SAHM's when children are younger, IE not in school or just starting school, but at 13 most children can be left at home for periods of time and spend the majority of the day at school as it is.  So why does a 13 year old need a SAHM?  What is the benefit?  Especially when the mom can't seem to get the laundry done, groceries purchased, or dinner made...

I think it's been used as a cop out to avoid having to get up in the morning and be a responsible adult like everyone else.  It is ultimately an excuse to stay home, be lazy, watch tv, and get fat while someone else supports the child you should be working to mutually support.

Being a SAHM is for mothers that actually care and are attentive to their children's needs.  It's about the child, not the laziness of the mother. 

Sorry...rant over for now...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Replies (251-254):
BigMamaStacy
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM
In my opinion it is MOST important to have a SAHM at that age! When they are younger and can go to daycare, it makes more sense to work. As teens they can't go to daycare, and I would not be comfortable leaving my teens to raise themselves while I was working. My mom was a SAHM and did nothing. She didn't clean, she barely cooked (we had like fishsticks and Banquet Pot Pies for dinner). And left me to care for my 4 younger brothers while she slept or went out. And you know what happened? I got pissed, rebelled and ended up pregnant at 16. I learned a hard lesson, the hard way. And now I am a SAHM, and I know what NOT to do with my kids. My house is clean, my kids are respectful, my husband and I implement family dinners every single night, and we are very open and loving to our kids. I plan to stay home and actually RAISE my children myself, and help them along the way, and watch what they are doing and who they are with and so on, until they are out of the home and living their own lives. THEN I will worry about getting a job of some kind, or maybe I won't, because my husband likes me home, and frankly I like to be home. I will decide that when the time comes. Anyways, I understand about the lazy SAHM's who do nothing and don't cook or clean or anything, it pisses me off too. But ultimately, its not your life, and not your business.
Kelseysnana
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I resent your rant!! I was a SAHM all while my kids lived in the house. I worked my ass off cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, shopping, paying the bills, chauffeuring kids to baseball and dance practice, on and on. I was always home when they got home and kept tabs on where they were and who they were with. Frankly, I feel like teens need a parent present almost more than the younger ones. There is too much trouble and risky behavior they can get into. I DID NOT use it as an excuse to "sit on my ass and get fat" !!! When people see teens in trouble they always say "Where are the parents?"-- Well, I for one, was an involved mom. I have three kids now who are responsible, respectful adults.
massconfusion14
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

If I could, I would be a sahm until my child goes to First Grade... but not an option.

apollothor
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I like having a  salary but if I had been financially fortunate I would've stayed home part time or full time. My teenagers took terrible advantage of the fact that I had to work so much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN