Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Why does a 13 year old need a SAHM? *Sorry for the rant*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand SAHM's when children are younger, IE not in school or just starting school, but at 13 most children can be left at home for periods of time and spend the majority of the day at school as it is.  So why does a 13 year old need a SAHM?  What is the benefit?  Especially when the mom can't seem to get the laundry done, groceries purchased, or dinner made...

I think it's been used as a cop out to avoid having to get up in the morning and be a responsible adult like everyone else.  It is ultimately an excuse to stay home, be lazy, watch tv, and get fat while someone else supports the child you should be working to mutually support.

Being a SAHM is for mothers that actually care and are attentive to their children's needs.  It's about the child, not the laziness of the mother. 

Sorry...rant over for now...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

and yet some are so quick to demean a sahm for making no sacrifices. Pfft

Quoting Anonymous:

I know right. I haven't worked in 11 years and now that all four of my kids are in school I want to get a part time job but I can't. Hell I can't even get a job at Burger King because I don't have enough experience with a register. LOL

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

....because it is so easy to get a job after being out if the workforce for 13 years....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I know right. I have a degree in Culinary Arts and like I said I can't even get a job at Burger King. pfft

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

I know right. I haven't worked in 11 years and now that all four of my kids are in school I want to get a part time job but I can't. Hell I can't even get a job at Burger King because I don't have enough experience with a register. LOL

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

....because it is so easy to get a job after being out if the workforce for 13 years....

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Oooh....I see a job opp for you! Buy a food truck, make culinary delights on it and go to the courthouse and lawyers offices for lunch times! Good hours and weekends off!

Quoting Anonymous:

I know right. I have a degree in Culinary Arts and like I said I can't even get a job at Burger King. pfft

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

DenversMommy07
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a working mom I work nights my husband works days so they can always have a parent at home with them. But if I could be a sahm I would til my kids were older older. That's how teenagers get in trouble that little period of time when no adult is home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

That doesn't sound bad. My DH is a weather man here where we live and he said there is a new place in town for people that own food trucks. I think I will talk to him later tonight about. Thank you.

Quoting baparrot2:

Oooh....I see a job opp for you! Buy a food truck, make culinary delights on it and go to the courthouse and lawyers offices for lunch times! Good hours and weekends off!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

You know the type trucks I'm talking about right? Farm raised chicken sandwiches on stone ground pita bread with arugala and a soy based dressing.....something like that! Something that has a nitch! Not just another rolling sandwich machine, Those are a dima a dozen! Everyone is trying to be healthy right now. What a killing!

Quoting Anonymous:

That doesn't sound bad. My DH is a weather man here where we live and he said there is a new place in town for people that own food trucks. I think I will talk to him later tonight about. Thank you.

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I was thinking about do something like what you are talking about with going healthy but also doing something for vegetarians as well. 

Quoting baparrot2:

You know the type trucks I'm talking about right? Farm raised chicken sandwiches on stone ground pita bread with arugala and a soy based dressing.....something like that! Something that has a nitch! Not just another rolling sandwich machine, Those are a dima a dozen! Everyone is trying to be healthy right now. What a killing!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Vegan.....really hot right now. DO IT!!!! Dont work for the man!  You be the man! I have been since 1988. I was able to be my own boss, make my own schedule and be there for my DD whenever she needed me! And made great money too!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I was thinking about do something like what you are talking about with going healthy but also doing something for vegetarians as well. 

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Thank you for the advice and I will let you know what comes of it. I am really starting to like this idea and I am doing some research on it right now as well. LOL

Quoting baparrot2:

Vegan.....really hot right now. DO IT!!!! Dont work for the man!  You be the man! I have been since 1988. I was able to be my own boss, make my own schedule and be there for my DD whenever she needed me! And made great money too!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baparrot2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I think the part of my post that people are missing is that she doesn't do what most SAHMs do.  She doesn't get up in the morning with her child.  She doesn't make sure she is home when her child gets home.  She doesn't prepare dinner so her child and husband can have a home cooked meal after a long day.  She isn't there for homework or learning.  Thus making her different from a lot of SAHMs. 

Buying socks and underwear may not seem like much, but when the majority of one persons income already goes to CS for said SAHM, buying socks and underwear to continually disappear at her house because she can't seem to do laundry gets a little frustrating. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN