Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

School wants sd medicated...

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 39 Replies
Bm talked to dh about the school recommending SD to see a Dr and be medicated for adhd. How would you handle this or had been through this?

SD papa passed away a month ago. She acts up for her mom and is acting like any 11 year old would trying to push buttons. The school called bm into their office and gave her the forms.

Here SD is behaved and shows no signs of adhd. Dh is pissed. Bm is pissed and well I'm upset about it. Why is it that schools are so quick to Medicad kids?
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mestiza_07
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Bump!
mestiza_07
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Bump
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Umm, it's not the school's decision to medicate a child. It's purely up to the parents.  If the parents don't want medication, the school can't make them do it.

mestiza_07
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM
That's what I told dh but he's pretty worked up right now

Quoting sandeeyo:

Umm, it's not the school's decision to medicate a child. It's purely up to the parents.  If the parents don't want medication, the school can't make them do it.

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell him to take a chill pill.  NO ONE can make them medicate their child.  It is purely their decision.

Quoting mestiza_07:

That's what I told dh but he's pretty worked up right now

Quoting sandeeyo:

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe it would be good to get an evaluation anyway.  Depression can minic the symptoms of ADHD.  So with the loss she's had maybe getting some counseling would be helpful.  Then those issues can be teased out.

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
3 moms liked this

And this is what I hate about the whole diagnosing a child with ADD or ADHD.  People are not informed and they think that a diagnosis will be immediately followed by medication.  Even my SD's BM thinks that, and SHE works in the health field!

There are other ways to treat a child with ADD, one being behavior modification.  Medication should be the LAST resort.

CFSTBSM27
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh,I swear there's always an excuse too "medicate" a child. Granted their are children with conditions who required medication but I think it's,a little exaggerated these days....
mestiza_07
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM
That's funny you say that because I'm a nurse and I think medication should be the last resort. I agree with behavior modification. I usually don't work in behavioral but those kids are medicated and a lot of them shouldn't be.

Quoting sandeeyo:

And this is what I hate about the whole diagnosing a child with ADD or ADHD.  People are not informed and they think that a diagnosis will be immediately followed by medication.  Even my SD's BM thinks that, and SHE works in the health field!

There are other ways to treat a child with ADD, one being behavior modification.  Medication should be the LAST resort.

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I dont care what a school says I will never and I repeat never medicate my child just because a school thinks I should. Thats just crazy lol. I would seek some therapy maybe she just needs some one to talk to about her papa. OR maybe there is something else going on at schoo no one is aware of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN