Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child Support and a new baby.

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 365 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with what happens when you have another child in terms of childs support? I have looked up info that's specific my state so I know there will be some sort of reduction to accomodate another child but I was just wondering if anyone had ever dealt with this type of thing specifically? It's not an issue for us yet, but we are planning to start trying for baby within the next year or so, and I wanna know what we're in for. Since SO is in the middle of a parent time increase court case he did ask his lawyer what would happen and she did tell him so we know as much as what she told us. But again just looking for if anyone has dealt with this specifically?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

What state?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It depends on your state. About half have laws that forbid any changes to the current child support order.

The other half have varying degrees of accommodations to the amount paid for the first child.

afwifeandmommy3
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Here they do consider additional children . We did not ask for a decrease as we felt we made the choice to have him so that shouldn't effect our current children ss and ds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on May. 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

We're in Jersey. I've looked child support laws in NJ...so I know there would be a deduction. My SO asked his lawyer today. She said that (I guess) he would propose whatever amount to BM and if she agreed that would be the new amount, if she disagreed then he would have to file a motion and go back to court. So I guess we will be going back to court...theres no way BM is going to give two shits about us having a child LOL.

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state?

DDDaysh
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

NJ has a fairly complex formula, so there'd be know way to know until you know the parenting time breakdown for sure, and both your income numbers and hers.  Once you know that, you can plug it in to the calculator and find out. 

Quoting ChelseNichole:

We're in Jersey. I've looked child support laws in NJ...so I know there would be a deduction. My SO asked his lawyer today. She said that (I guess) he would propose whatever amount to BM and if she agreed that would be the new amount, if she disagreed then he would have to file a motion and go back to court. So I guess we will be going back to court...theres no way BM is going to give two shits about us having a child LOL.

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state?

Brittanyk3
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM
in arkansas they dont lower cs because of new kid(s).
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on May. 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Thanks...I've been on the site you posted too! and you're right...NJ is very complex when it comes to child support. Parent time percentages, and income, etc. Its CRAZY! lol.

Quoting DDDaysh:

NJ has a fairly complex formula, so there'd be know way to know until you know the parenting time breakdown for sure, and both your income numbers and hers.  Once you know that, you can plug it in to the calculator and find out. 

Quoting ChelseNichole:

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state?

Leigh84
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I'm in va and they take other children in consideration too when BM had custody she had 2 kids w/DH and 2 kids w/SF so when they took her income info they also considered the fact she had 2 other children at home to provide for too.
XXXLmommy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

My DH has always paid the same amount. We do not have anything official but BM and him decided on an amount before we even met. It is now about 25% of DH income. I've tried to figure out if it was close to or more or less than what the calculators say but they always give a higher amount and don't give any deductions for our 4 kids.

We also have always provided full medical insurance for SD and do all the driving.

You'll have to look it up for your state specifically. They probably won't reduce it a lot even if they do. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN