Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying solo? Edit.

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
  • 17 Replies
I know that technically I have no say in this, but I'm really just looking for opinions, and to grt a perspective because my son is only two so its hard for me to truly know what I would do with an 8 year old in this situation.

Would you be comfortable with an 8 year old girl flying on a plane by herself? Would you be upset if the other parent didn't even tell you about the plan before booking the flight and making the arrangements?
How would you handle this? Are there laws about children leaving the state without the other parents permission? There isn't anything specific in the court order.

I had a good friend who did this with her older sister at a young age to go see their father. So I know it happens, but they had to go visit their dad. This is not a parent, or a court ordered visit with anyone.

Edited: I guess I was misunderstanding and dh is comfortable with everything. I guess they did in fact discuss it today. So, still an interesting topic but I was incorrect.
Thank you all for the helpful tips , though! :-)
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoodIsLife
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I flew from Texas to florida and back every year alone from ages 7-12

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Not at 8. DS is 10 and I'd be OK with putting him on a plane by himself. SD is 12, almost 13, and now way would I be Ok with her doing it.

I think it depends on the child. 

lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM
What are some safety tips you would recommend?

Was the plan discussed beforehand and agreed upon before it happened? Hie did you feel about all of it?

Sd has given us this info, her mom had not said anything to us. ( I guess it could be a lie but sd really doesn't lie at all. )

Quoting FoodIsLife:

I flew from Texas to florida and back every year alone from ages 7-12

lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
How would you feel if this plan wasn't even discussed with the OP? If you felt the child was ready, would you discuss it with the op effort making final arrangements?

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Not at 8. DS is 10 and I'd be OK with putting him on a plane by himself. SD is 12, almost 13, and now way would I be Ok with her doing it.

Eyelashes23
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My son has been flying solo for summer to my parents since he was 8. He's 10 now.
lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Any safety tips?

Quoting Eyelashes23:

My son has been flying solo for summer to my parents since he was 8. He's 10 now.

aeELE
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You can't take your child out of the country without documents from the other parent (or parents), but out of state is legal. 

We got documented permission from BM anyway when we went to Disneyland, just to have it, but it wasn't necessary. There were tons of things to fill out for our trip to the Caribbean though.  

Eyelashes23
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM
The airline really takes care of the child. I'm allowed to be with him till he gets on te plane and I wait till it takes off. We pack things to keep him occupied and of course I remind him not to speak to strangers. Once he arrives, my mother is right there waiting for him. He loves it

Quoting lovemyfriend:

Any safety tips?

Quoting Eyelashes23:

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I'd be livid. DH would be livid as well, and that would probably be the last time that BM was allowed to make decisions like that. Transportation arrangements would be put into the CO down to the FINEST detail.

But, SD is not a typically developing child, she has special needs and developmental delays. Plus, DH is CP, so that changes things a bit. 

Quoting lovemyfriend:

How would you feel if this plan wasn't even discussed with the OP? If you felt the child was ready, would you discuss it with the op effort making final arrangements?

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

jglasser7682
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM

My oldest DS flew on a plane by himself when he was 9 years old. From Las Vegas to New Orleans. The flight attendants usually keep a very close eye on young children flying alone. Especially if you request that they do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)