Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Not looking forward to seeing BM at SS 8th grade graduation.....

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 30 Replies

I haven't seen her in a really long time...however the last contact I had with her wasn't great. She said alot of really not nice things about me and DH via text messages. So do I ignore her or go out of my way to be nice?

Also, what is an appropriate gift for my SS?

by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Be a good person, smile, say hi and be nice. If she's rude, pretend that you didn't hear it. Do whatever necessary to keep the peace for the sake of SS.

As for a gift, what is he into? Is there a video game he really likes? A store he likes where you can get him a gift card?

packermomof2
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

So don't go. 

If you do go, don't go out of your way to be nice.  No one likes it when people are fake to them.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If she wants to go, she needs to suck it up and be decent. I don't care what BM did, it's not about BM or SM, it's about SS and people being able to come together to celebrate HIS accomplishments.

Personally, I'd rather have BM be fake nice to me than her be outright rude in front of SD. 

Quoting packermomof2:

So don't go. 

If you do go, don't go out of your way to be nice.  No one likes it when people are fake to them.

Julie-O
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Go - be pleasant but not out of your way to interact. Sit on opposite sides. It's your SS's day- not the parents.
Chickenhawk13
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Smile like a jackass eating briars! It is ss day & he deserves for everyone to set aside differences. Ignore her if she can't smile back. That's the best gift you can give him.
chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM
If you don't like her, be pleasant and be absent. Meaning... Don't hang around her unless absolutely necessary and when it is....be in the background. (it is ss's day). And be as pleasant and distant as possible. I agree with packer, no one likes a fake. Bm and I don't get along, I see no reason to pretend we are besties.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I would just ignore her, as for gifts, what are the things your SS likes? Use that as gauge. Personally, I like to ask kids about the things that they would like and I choose from that what I will give them.

tymama1022
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Your going for your ss and you dh not bm.  Im sure your dh is a proud father and i know your ss is pround of himself as well.  So go to show your support for your dh and ss and as a nice give give him money give him 50 bucks if u can afford it with a nice card.....or a gift card where he can go buy a game or etc

packermomof2
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

If she wants to go, she needs to suck it up and be decent. I don't care what BM did, it's not about BM or SM, it's about SS and people being able to come together to celebrate HIS accomplishments.

Personally, I'd rather have BM be fake nice to me than her be outright rude in front of SD. 

If she isn't looking forward to seeing mom, oh well.  She doesn't have to go.  The kid will have mom and dad there and that would be enough.  Especially if the woman is just going to be fake nice.  I don't know many people who don't feel patronized when someone is like that.  Mom's know when Sm doesn't like them, no point in being fake. 
Just leave each other alone.  Life is just fine when SP and parent don't deal with each other.  I preferred when SM never said a word to me as opposed to when she was sugary sweet (when people were watchng).  Unless you are an actress trained to be fake, most people can pick up on that.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
American Statesman
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yep, there's no rule that says they have to sit with each other and chat the entire time.

BM is coming to SD's 5th grade graduation, she'll sit with her mom, and DH and I will sit with our families. There's no reason we'll have to communicate at all. 

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

If she isn't looking forward to seeing mom, oh well.  She doesn't have to go.  The kid will have mom and dad there and that would be enough.  Especially if the woman is just going to be fake nice.  I don't know many people who don't feel patronized when someone is like that.  Mom's know when Sm doesn't like them, no point in being fake. 
Just leave each other alone.  Life is just fine when SP and parent don't deal with each other.  I preferred when SM never said a word to me as opposed to when she was sugary sweet (when people were watchng).  Unless you are an actress trained to be fake, most people can pick up on that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)