Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

One kid at a time visitation...actually pretty awesome! (Update)

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

This holiday weekend, SD15 wanted to go to her Gma's to go shopping and SD13 elected to visit us.  It was kind of a "scary" new thing for her as she's never done much w/o her older sister.  Especially flying alone.

There were some concerns about how wise it was to do a one on one visit at the time arrangements were being made (which was when I posted originally)

It has been AWESOME!  Seriously.  Dad has gotten to spend lots of one on one time w/ SD13 (I worked Friday and Saturday so they had almost two whole days alone).  They/we have done stuff SD13 likes to do that SD15 probably would've vetoed.  Like going to the Library of Congress, having a picnic at Wolf Trap and seeing A Prairie Home Companion LIVE, going to Arlington Nat'l Cemetery today, going to an outdoor market, and currently...hanging out at the pool.  (I'm obviously not at the pool...working on pulling dinner together...but more Dad time!)

Having just one kiddo here, she's gotten to pick the movie, pick the meals, there's no one to fight with or get picked on by. Dad's attention isn't split between kiddos.  

It's been really nice.  So if anyone else runs into this any time soon--go for it.  It's been great for SD13 to gain a little confidence and call some shots.  I know that Dad and SD have had a great time which is great.  But I have to admit, it's actually been awesome for me too.  Much less friction/chaos with one at a time. And it's been neat to get to hear what SD13 things about things w/o her being interrupted by SD15 or just saying nothing at all.  She's been chatty and outgoing.  Very cool.

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
annabl1970
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I am happy for your SD13:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's great to have one-on-one time with just one kid and the parents sometimes.  I bet she's been feeling pretty darn special. :)

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Glad you've had a good weekend! I know that I always enjoyed when I got to be the only one at my grandparent's house on a saturday. Nothing wrong with splitting the siblings up sometimes.

ramita
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I'm so glad it worked out so well. Something to remember for in the future.
JustaSM231
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
OSD is going on a week trip this summer and YSD is really looking forward to being an "only child" that week. We wanted to take her on a trip but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen due to mine and DH's schedule that week so we are gonna do a few cool things in the area that YSD would like.
cLanief
by on May. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Awesome. Last year we took the youngest camping with us cuz oldest didn't want to and it was soooooo nice not listening to fighting and name calling for a weekend lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)