Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central
I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed before or not but I can't search on my phone and looking for some specific advice anyway.

So a question, do your step kids have bedtimes when they are at your house? A brief background is that my BF has 2 kids...9yr old boy and nearly 11yr old girl. They are with us eowe, every day they have off school, spring break week, christmas week and several weeks during the summer. Instead of making the kids actually turn off the computer, tv, iPads and actually go to bed (agreed upon bedtime is 10pm), BF believes that the kids just have to be in their rooms at 10pm but they can actually stay up on the computer, play, watch tv, etc until they want to go to bed, no matter what time of night or morning it may be. . I believe that kids this young not only need rules and a schedule/routine, but they actually need more sleep as they are still very much in the developmental stage. BF just says that because they are not grumpy the next day, they obviously don't need as much sleep.

So 1) what time do your step kids go to bed? Ages? 2) do you feel that even though they are only here part of the time and never when they have school the next day, should they still have bedtimes and 3) do you have any advice that I can provide to BF on why kids in this age range need the amount of sleep that they do?
Thanks.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Replies (21-23):
sarawags
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM

our kids (who are these exact ages) have a later bedtime on weekends but still a bedtime - reason being that it's not good for them to get super thrown off their school time schedules.

sarawags
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Dad sounds like he might benefit from a parenting class - if you're able to get him to actually take one PLEASE share your secret with how you did with me - lol- ;) 

SassyMom25
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

SS11 lives with us full time. All the kids go to bed at 9pm during the week and on the weekends they usually get a movie at bedtime so its before midnight, but that is only if we have nothing going on the next day.

In our case, if SS didn't live with us he would still have a bedtime because we would probably do activities when he was.

Also, no electronics at bedtime. We have a special drawer they all go in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)