Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling a little bummed *update*

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 7 Replies
The week after next is a pretty busy week for us. We have an iep meeting that Tues to get the results of ds evaluation. Then Thurs is YSS 5th grade graduation and Friday we're all going to the beach.

Back to 5th grade graduation. I thought I would be able to go but I can't get off work. Oh well i figured DH would be able to go. Then BM and her mom would probably be there too. DH tells me today he doesn't know if he will be able to take off that Thurs. I feel bad b/c dh and i both went to OSS 5th grade graduation. I know BM and her mom will be there for YSS it's not like he won't have anyone there for him. I just wish DH could be there too. I have anxiety maybe I'm over thinking this. What do u think? It's not like he's graduating HS or college right?

Update: we talked to SS and explained to him that next week was a crazy week for DH and I. We were so sorry it doesn't look like we would be able to make it. SS was fine, he said as long as Nana is there it's ok lol. I'm glad he took it better than I did.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on May. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are over thinking it. The only graduations that I think matter are 8th grade, HS and college. If BM and grandma will be there. I think it's ok that you and DH can't take off work.

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Do a special dinner for him if it bothers him that you/dh didn't make it.  YDS10 would be bothered if I couldn't make things that I did for ODS15 (when Ods was the same age as yds).  I've 'made it up to him' later and he's good (something ods didn't get to do LOL).  Now, some things I don't, like when YDS told me the night before a field trip that it was coming up and could I go?  Um.. nope... not happening.  (I'd signed the permission slip months prior but they didn't have dates of the trips then.  I knew it was coming up but not when.  YDS just didn't bother to TELL Me until the night before. Silly kid.)

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't even think that 8th grade graduation is that big a deal.  Most of the people I know never had one.  Half the schools around don't have one.  I think it is silly.  The kids kidn't really accomplish anything.  They have to go to school and get good grades to pass.  Most states don't allow dropouts until 16.  *shrugh*  Schools make their own grade plans.  I went to a school where 5th grade was the first year of middle school. Did not have a 4th grade graduation. Or a Kindergarten graduation.

Quoting RobsPrincess24:

I think you are over thinking it. The only graduations that I think matter are 8th grade, HS and college. If BM and grandma will be there. I think it's ok that you and DH can't take off work.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I would feel bad too but its not the end of the world and I'm sure he won't be damaged for life lol.

You better make the high school and college one though! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can't be there, it is what it is.  But I think a parental units presence at all school events is vitally important.  Being present in the classroom, as a volunteer, as a chaperone, as an audience member...all of those events tells a child that education is important and that they are important.

i remember to this day, and I am 50, my mom and my dad volunteering at my school.  My dad worked graveyard so he was often a chaperone on field trips.  Neither one went to college and I was the first person in y family to graduate college.  Parental involvement is the strongest indicator for student success.

doesnt mean you should get fired from a job.  But don't underestimate the value of your presence.

bottomline
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand your feeling bad but don't overthink it. Someone will be there for him and you can always do something after work for him.

I didn't realize that 5th grade was a graduation? We don't have them around here. lol

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Most schools  hear have a K, 6th, 8th, and 12th graduation.  It's normal here.  I, myself, graduated from K (cap and gown included, they don't do that here though), 8th and 12th.  I didn't from 6th because the school that I went to then went to 8th but then I moved (again). 

Due to budget cuts and furlough days ODS didn't have an 8th grade graduation, but the other jr. highs in our district did, they figured it out.  Whatever.  ODS was just happy it was a minimum day and would have rather been dropped off at the beach to start summer vacation early that year instead.  ;)  YDS will graduate next year (end of 6th), but the kids come in, receive awards, dress nicely, then go home, no 'class time' that day, and the teachers have a drink I think!  LOL  (survived another  year)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)