Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big Family on a Budget

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 38 Replies

For the Moms who have a lot of s/kids....how do you feed such a large family on a budget?

When the skids are at our house (every Monday, every other Friday, every other Sat-Tues), there is a total of 8 of us. And let me tell you, 4 out of 6 of these kids can EAT!!! My super small 7 year old eats more than I do! Throw a 14 year old boy into the mix, oh man!!

I feel like we eat the same things ALL THE TIME. It gets realy expensive to feed us all! Any suggestions on what to make for dinner that its too costly? 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I will be watching this post too. When BM let's her son come, there are 9 people here. The baby doesn't eat but the man, 3 teen boys and one tween boy sure do. Hell, ss5 eats a lot.
smarterthanyou
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

cut out the meats....just enough to help curve the hunger, we do a lot of goulash/spaghetti type meals....no they are not as healthy but they go a long way.

i think dinner is the only time i focus on balanced diets. otherwise, breakfast is usually cereal, lunch sandwich of some kind and dinner is the shabang.

also for cooking purposes, try dried milk. it SUCKS for drinking, and i wouldn't feed it to my dog, but it surves the same purpose as regular milk

LoveMy2x4
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

It doesnt help that I am like the pickiest eater ever!!! LOL!!!

But Im just sick of the same stuff we eat. Mostly a pasta dish or shephards pie. 

Quoting faerie75:

I will be watching this post too. When BM let's her son come, there are 9 people here. The baby doesn't eat but the man, 3 teen boys and one tween boy sure do. Hell, ss5 eats a lot.

LoveMy2x4
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Im opposite. I think dinner is the only time I dont focus on a balanced diet! Breakfast and lunch we are pretty healthy, but when dinner comes (when skids are with us) its usually not very healthy at all. When skids are at BMs, we eat a little healthier at dinner time because we are cutting the amount of food we need in half.

Quoting smarterthanyou:

cut out the meats....just enough to help curve the hunger, we do a lot of goulash/spaghetti type meals....no they are not as healthy but they go a long way.

i think dinner is the only time i focus on balanced diets. otherwise, breakfast is usually cereal, lunch sandwich of some kind and dinner is the shabang.

also for cooking purposes, try dried milk. it SUCKS for drinking, and i wouldn't feed it to my dog, but it surves the same purpose as regular milk

pokey-pwa
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

When DHs kids are with us there are 9 of us.  2 adults and kids ages 17, 15, 13, 12, 10, 8, and 6.  We have 2 very picky eaters. 

Popular meals when they are with us are:

Hamburgers (DH grills them outside usually and we get the cheaper pre-made frozen patties)

Hot Dogs - We get the beef ones.  They are more expensive but taste better.

Spaghetti - usually have garlic bread and salad with this.

Meatloaf Muffins/Cheeseburger Muffins - They are like mini meatloafs that you make in cupcake pans.  You prepare the meatloaf and then seperate into each slot and add one cube of cheese to each.  We have to call these Cheeseburger Muffins so that they will eat them...

Make your own Pizza - This is fun.  We get the smaller crusts so they each have like a personal sized pizza and then get pepperoni, pineapple, olives, bell peppers, a few different cheeses and let them make their own.  A few will eat 1.5 - 2 so we always make a few extra.  We typically have fresh fruit with this so before they come back for seconds, they have to eat the fruit first.

Breakfast for Dinner - Pancakes, bacon, sausage and fruit.

Pork chops or chicken on the grill.  Chicken strips baked in the oven, breaded or unbreaded.  They love roast and beef tips too over rice.  We tend to do a lot of sides with dinner so there is less meat neaded.  If we do Hamburgers or hot dogs then we will have fries, baby carrots and grapes or something.  Most other stuff we do a combination of cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, rolls, macaroni and cheese, fruits, rice...that way they have lots on their plate.  If they are still hungry after normal servings of everything, I have them eat a banana or an apple and drink a big glass of water.  Usually after that they are good.

pokey-pwa
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Oh and sausage.  DH will grill beef sausage links and they put them on buns or tortillas.

Fajitas are a hit too.  They go on sale here a lot.

Tacos are easy and fast too and fairly cheap to make.

LoveMy2x4
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I always thought breakfast for dinner would be expensive. But now that Im REALLY thinking about it, its a great idea. I may have to do this one night soon. My DS4 has actually been asking for it anyway...

Quoting pokey-pwa:

When DHs kids are with us there are 9 of us.  2 adults and kids ages 17, 15, 13, 12, 10, 8, and 6.  We have 2 very picky eaters. 

Hamburgers (DH grills them outside usually and we get the cheaper pre-made frozen patties)

Meatloaf Muffins/Cheeseburger Muffins - They are like mini meatloafs that you make in cupcake pans.  You prepare the meatloaf and then seperate into each slot and add one cube of cheese to each.  We have to call these Cheeseburger Muffins so that they will eat them...

Make your own Pizza - This is fun.  We get the smaller crusts so they each have like a personal sized pizza and then get pepperoni, pineapple, olives, bell peppers, a few different cheeses and let them make their own.  A few will eat 1.5 - 2 so we always make a few extra.  We typically have fresh fruit with this so before they come back for seconds, they have to eat the fruit first.

Pork chops or chicken on the grill.  Chicken strips baked in the oven, breaded or unbreaded.  They love roast and beef tips too over rice.  We tend to do a lot of sides with dinner so there is less meat neaded.  If we do Hamburgers or hot dogs then we will have fries, baby carrots and grapes or something.  Most other stuff we do a combination of cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, rolls, macaroni and cheese, fruits, rice...that way they have lots on their plate.  If they are still hungry after normal servings of everything, I have them eat a banana or an apple and drink a big glass of water.  Usually after that they are good.

pokey-pwa
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

All of our kids love it.  We cook up a lot of pancakes and just enough meat so that everyone gets a serving.  Sometimes we add eggs in the mix too.  We always have fruit on the side as well - either fresh strawberries, grapes, blackberries, blueberries, maybe canned fruit if nothing is on sale. 

Quoting LoveMy2x4:

I always thought breakfast for dinner would be expensive. But now that Im REALLY thinking about it, its a great idea. I may have to do this one night soon. My DS4 has actually been asking for it anyway...

Quoting pokey-pwa:

tiredmama42
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

When I have a bunch of picky kids (9 total)   nachos are easy   I do some with cheese n chips and another tray with meat ne cheese.  You dont have to get fancy with adding lettuce, tomato etc but salsa & sour cream is good.    I dont know how you do it.. I dont have all of them at one time often.. its exhausting!

LoveMy2x4
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

oooo maybe like little individual nachos would be good! i LOVE nachos! I can let them pick how they want it. I know if I just put one or 2 big bowls on the table, a fight would break out :) LOL

Quoting tiredmama42:

When I have a bunch of picky kids (9 total)   nachos are easy   I do some with cheese n chips and another tray with meat ne cheese.  You dont have to get fancy with adding lettuce, tomato etc but salsa & sour cream is good.    I dont know how you do it.. I dont have all of them at one time often.. its exhausting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)