Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Question about taxes.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 8 Replies
My mother asked if she could claim my daughter on her taxes this year... I let her claim last year but I told her NO because we are moving the last week of July to Virginia and didn't use the money as she said she would. Will the IRS let her claim Shelby though she will be with me and has no form of custody?
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BrandiGra
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
No
AMBG825
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't claim a dependent unless you have been the primary means of support for at least 6 months. If she wasn't the primary means of your daughter's support last year then technically, you BOTH committed tax fraud. However, the IRS will only allow her to claim your daughter if you allow her to.

hspear
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No, she has to be the legal primary caregiver for at least 6 months of the calendar year to claim her on her taxes.

fstysxofthebtt
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Did she support her for more than 6 months out of the year? IF she did then she has a right to claim her.

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM
This

Quoting AMBG825:

You can't claim a dependent unless you have been the primary means of support for at least 6 months. If she wasn't the primary means of your daughter's support last year then technically, you BOTH committed tax fraud. However, the IRS will only allow her to claim your daughter if you allow her to.

ablair2485
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I was unemployed last year so no it was not tax fraud..
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I would ask your accountant. If it is a No I would cover your self by sending her an email stating such. This way if she does it anyway, and she gets audited, you are covered.

ablair2485
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I will, thank you so much zannahdeux!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)