Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If you have 2 or more kids living in your home...

Posted by   + Show Post

Is sibling (or step sibling) bullying an issue?

I just read this study about how sibling bullying is under-recognized or considered "normal sibling behavior".

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/17/sibling-bullying-is-under-recognized-study-finds/

What are your thoughts on this?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-17):
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Ha. Must be the age.

Quoting Lorena:

Sometimes. It is our oldest. He is 15 and can get pretty nasty sometimes. I always step in and tell him it is not appropriate. Otherwise it is normal bickering about who can go in whos room, whos shirt it is, whos hair tie it is, whos turn to do the dishes just normal kid stuff. I expected their to be A lot more when we brought 3 more into the house.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
We have 4 kiddos in our home, other than typical "he/she has my..." Or "he/she took my..." We really don't have many problems.

The kids are very respectful of each other.
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I was talking to my boss who has a 15 yr old son and he says he is acking the same way but he is an only child.

Quoting faerie75:Ha. Must be the age.

Quoting Lorena:

Sometimes. It is our oldest. He is 15 and can get pretty nasty sometimes. I always step in and tell him it is not appropriate. Otherwise it is normal bickering about who can go in whos room, whos shirt it is, whos hair tie it is, whos turn to do the dishes just normal kid stuff. I expected their to be A lot more when we brought 3 more into the house.
oliver92
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

My SS 11 has RAD and so a lot of issues of bullying or what i would consider crossing a line into inappropriate behavior is from him.  He is just so unfeeling and cruel some days. My ds is also 11 and ds 3.  He will verbally be meaner to older one, physical with younger. But they all fight sometimes and the 3 yr old can be the worst, he gets mad and just smacks them and makes them cry, but I dont consider normal actions bullying.

hspear
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Bullying, no. Rivalry/jealousy, yes. But that's all kids lol. There were seven kids in my family growing up - we didn't exactly get along all the time :-P

I saw a summary of that study on the news an an obscene hour early yesterday morning. The things they were going over (the breaking toys, hitting, etc.) is stuff I've always seen in any family with more than one kid. That's just part of bigger families. Unfortunately, we are turning into a society that tries to make excuses. I'm sure this is why they're saying kids are messed up nowadays - they're bullied at home AND at school and no one is helping them. Meh, I was "bullied" at home and flat-out harassed in multiple ways at school/online and I turned out just peachy :-D

Janeite
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I can't say we've had this issue.   

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I wouldn't consider what happens in our house bullying. The boys pick on each other and I think it gets extreme at times but then I'll call my dad, who had 4 brothers, or DH who has 8 brothers, and ask them because I didn't have any brothers. They assure me its normal. The only thing that truly concerns me now are the 2 girls. They can fight physically like I would expect boys to! They have gotten better in the last several months but it was rough there for a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)