Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

who else hates the legal system??

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM
  • 17 Replies
bm is sitting in treatment right now after overdosing. we contacted social services who told us this isnt a cps issue because the kids werent home when mom od'd. we contacted a lawyer who told us "it takes a whole lot more for a mom to lose her parental rights." the lawyer wouldnt take our case. so basically when she gets out of treatment she can take sd home with her. did i mention this is the second time shes been in treatment within 2 weeks? how about the fact that sd was just being molested by moms bf a few months ago but social services turned the case down because there was no actual proof, other than a 3 year olds very detail accusations. im so angry right now. i could go on for hours about the things we have done to protect this child and the things bm has done to harm her. what about this child's right to be safe, have a safe loving home, and to be happy?!?! what the hell should my hubby and i do to save her?! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chanizen
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand your frustration.

I have a 3.5 year old who is HIGHLY verbal. A three year old does not have the verbal skills to make a highly detailed description. Unfortunately, there does need to be other proof or a psychologist involved.

You can document. Your dh can offer to take sd while bm finishes treatment. He can request right if first refusal so he can get first dibs on watching sd. Would bm give the child over on extra weekend days (so bm gets time to "rest and relax". -- aka keeping the child safe during more dangerous times if bm is a weekend partier)

Problem is, far too many people try the CPs route to exact revenge. Sucks, right? False reports are a dirty, dirty weapon because it eats at the credibility if real ones. There is a special circle in hell for those folks.

I feel like there is more to this story. What is tfe relationship between and dh like? How did they spilt? What is the custody situation? What did bm overdose on? is she in treatment?
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Why has your DH not filed for emergency custody by now?  Stop asking other people to handle it and file himself.

Eternity807
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I agree.  DH needs to atleast try to file for emergency custody.  BM might not lose her rights but atleast SD will be in a safe place while she gets her life together.

DH was in the process of custody proceedings for younger SS (now almost 2) when BM ended up in jail with her third DUI.  Legally, DH's attorney knew the state would not take away her rights.  We ended up with SS (only 10 months old) after she was ordered into rehab.  She still has legal and custodial rights but very limited.  SS lives with us and she is allowed visits as long as she stays sober.  She's also been sober for almost a year and is holding down a job, has a place to live, and has started taking visits with her son again.  DH can't give up on BM but instead needs to focus on what is best for SD at this time.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I also think the legal system is corrupt and has zero interest in the welfare of the child.
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I disagree. My cousin son is three...and since he was two he has been able to have FULL conversations with you. My younger step brother (13) had a conversation with him when we were at the shore last summer and asked me afterwards how old he was and when I told him two...He couldn't believe it. Every child is different.

Quoting chanizen:

I understand your frustration.

I have a 3.5 year old who is HIGHLY verbal. A three year old does not have the verbal skills to make a highly detailed description. Unfortunately, there does need to be other proof or a psychologist involved.

You can document. Your dh can offer to take sd while bm finishes treatment. He can request right if first refusal so he can get first dibs on watching sd. Would bm give the child over on extra weekend days (so bm gets time to "rest and relax". -- aka keeping the child safe during more dangerous times if bm is a weekend partier)

Problem is, far too many people try the CPs route to exact revenge. Sucks, right? False reports are a dirty, dirty weapon because it eats at the credibility if real ones. There is a special circle in hell for those folks.

I feel like there is more to this story. What is tfe relationship between and dh like? How did they spilt? What is the custody situation? What did bm overdose on? is she in treatment?

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My best friend in my court dealing was my DS's therapist.   They have more influence.  If that little girl tells this stuff to a counselor that counselor has alot of pull in court.   That is the first place I would take her since no one else listened.   Courts are not in the best intrest of the child anymore.  Its a money thing with them and nothing else.. they could careless.   Get a counselor who cares take the child a few times and if all this  is true that counselor will write a letter to the court and report to CPS also.   Takes longer but its effective if you cant get the emergency custody.

stashia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
dh was told he needed a lawyer to file the emergency custody, the lawyer told him he wouldnt help him.
Quoting WifeyC:

Why has your DH not filed for emergency custody by now?  Stop asking other people to handle it and file himself.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

You don't need a lawyer, it's just a good idea.

Quoting stashia:

dh was told he needed a lawyer to file the emergency custody, the lawyer told him he wouldnt help him.
Quoting WifeyC:

stashia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting WifeyC:

You don't need a lawyer, it's just a good idea.

Quoting stashia:

Quoting WifeyC:

< he called the court administrator and was told he needs a lawyer for emergency custody. he then called a father's resource program and asked if they could get him the paperwork to file emergency custody and they also said he needs a lawyer.
DDDaysh
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

He only needs a lawyer if he can't do the research to figure out what he needs to file.  Do the research.  Learn the law.  Figure it out because that's what parents do. 

And no, I don't hate the legal system.  It ain't perfect, but it could be SO much worse. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)